lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-14-2011, 04:22 PM   #1
floatingstatic
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default 2008 Precedent that rolls freely

Noob poster, just bought a 2008 Precedent 48V (4x12) and would appreciate insight regarding a potential problem with the cart... (no search results, but I might not be searching on the right words)

The cart is very slow - though I hope that's only due to stock 14mph settings (I'm breaking out the GPS to verify this evening) though it seems much slower. Tough to say since my neighborhood is not flat at all, just small to medium hills (<5 to maybe 15+ degrees grade).

The bigger problem, though, is that the cart will roll freely on downhill - if I let it coast with foot off accelerator I don't think anything would stop me from flying at any speed (though I brake to keep it <about 10/15mph). If I keep my foot on the accelerator through the downhill, it will never slow - I thought these carts had a regen or something that would inhibit excessive speed?

Could this indicate a bad speed sensor? Controller? Hopefully it's a problem with the motor only as I've already resolved to getting a PQ bandit, but need to know if I've got other issues at work.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!! Great info and people in this group!!!!!
floatingstatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-14-2011, 04:28 PM   #2
DIT Mobile
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 2008 Precedent that rolls freely

might be worth checking the tow/run switch as ive heard about some giving faulty signals.

if not then check the speed sensor to see if your getting 4 pulses per rev
(let me know if its a different setup)

also check the wiring to see if any loose connections/breaks. do a continuity test at either end of the wires and maybe measure the voltages on em to see if its getting power and pulsing back properly.

and yes they do limit the speed on freeroll, but take your foot off the accelerator to check this. its a safety feature in case you fall off or it starts rolling downhill. should be less than 5mph
DIT Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:23 PM   #3
NASTYNOTCHBACK1
Getting Wild
Club Car

10 to 1 its the speed sensor.very common on the precedent.
NASTYNOTCHBACK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:32 PM   #4
eadavis
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Does it have a factory or aftermarket controller? I have an ezgo with alltrax controller and you can play with regen I think with software could be turned off maybe???
eadavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingstatic View Post
Noob poster, just bought a 2008 Precedent 48V (4x12) and would appreciate insight regarding a potential problem with the cart... (no search results, but I might not be searching on the right words)

The cart is very slow - though I hope that's only due to stock 14mph settings (I'm breaking out the GPS to verify this evening) though it seems much slower. Tough to say since my neighborhood is not flat at all, just small to medium hills (<5 to maybe 15+ degrees grade).

The bigger problem, though, is that the cart will roll freely on downhill - if I let it coast with foot off accelerator I don't think anything would stop me from flying at any speed (though I brake to keep it <about 10/15mph). If I keep my foot on the accelerator through the downhill, it will never slow - I thought these carts had a regen or something that would inhibit excessive speed?

Could this indicate a bad speed sensor? Controller? Hopefully it's a problem with the motor only as I've already resolved to getting a PQ bandit, but need to know if I've got other issues at work.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!! Great info and people in this group!!!!!
U are on the right track !
Get GPS first if 5-8 mph on flat ground , then its speed sensor
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:56 PM   #6
floatingstatic
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Ordered my PQ Bandit today with Rick - since he said it comes with a speed sensor, I'll hopefully kill 2 birds with 1 stone!
Old 04-15-2011, 07:08 PM   #7
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingstatic View Post
Ordered my PQ Bandit today with Rick - since he said it comes with a speed sensor, I'll hopefully kill 2 birds with 1 stone!
Thanks , are U sending him your old motor as core when U'r new one arrives ?
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:27 PM   #8
floatingstatic
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

That's the plan. Rick said they were low on cores, but had recently taken in more to fill the shelves so he could send me one in advance of my return, but the core charge has gone up to $100 (compared to the $50 I've seen on other threads). Then again, maybe it was a different motor than the IQ I'm sending back...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car