lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-18-2011, 07:37 AM   #1
DBlom
Not Yet Wild

Cool Brakes for Lifted CC

Hey, I'm rather new to the forum, and rebuilding a 2000 Electric Series CC. I'm going to 22" tires, but current drum brakes are pretty worthless. In disassembly, I've noticed that while the shoes were replaced, the drums weren't turned (don't know whether that's standard practice on carts or not) and since the top pivot of the shoe mount is not adjustable, the shoes only make contact down towards the bottom of them and consequently do not work very well. I have two questions - one, how well should they work on lifted carts (and will drum replacement potentially get good operation back), and two, is there a good disk (hydraulic) after-market alternative for rear-only brakes that works well for lifted carts?
DBlom is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-18-2011, 10:24 AM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Brakes for Lifted CC

First problem with lifted carts is often cables too short causing brakes to be partially applied? ( Externsions available from forum sponsors ) That or auto adjusters not working correctly causing over or under adjustment. Another thing I find is shoes wearing grooves into backing plates holding shoes because lack of brake lub when they should retracting?
I have never found anyone that will turn golf cart brake drums in my area, but in some states brake dealers will only take 20-30 thousands off before rejecting them? If you have a CC dealer near check the diameter of CC ( NOT AFTER MARKET ) new drum against your as they may have been turned at some time and cause the abnormal wear on linings? Normal wear is about 2/3 of linging worn not bottom only.
I have seen CC rear brakes converted to hydraulics but it means backing plate rebuilding. I would look at manual disc brakes that are made by several manufacturers.
Check with forum sponsors and I noticed a member ANDY4639 also.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:44 AM   #3
DBlom
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Old Mec - I just found the mechanical dics brakes from AUSCO - looks like the ticket - any experience with them?
DBlom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:58 AM   #4
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Several local owners like them real well so far, only been about a year for both? Another cart has switched to Jakes front hydraulic and a different brand of rear disc's and finds rears working better than fronts, REASON UNKNOWN?? Jakes best for fronts as far as I know.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car