lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-29-2011, 06:08 PM   #11
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Should upgrade include F/R?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBlom View Post
A bit more clarity, please; the stock F/R switch IS a "switching contactor". I was asking if there are any aftermarket F/R switches that are HD and do not require the attached cables to rotate with the switch rotor.
i use the above mentioned reversing contactor as well (sw202 clone). i personally think its the way to go for high current applications! not sure if you can see this in the photo or not.... but i left the factory F&R switch in place and wired it up for use as the toggle switch for the reversing contactor. i liked the ergonomics of the factory switch, it was just inadequate for the application. it works great as a low current toggle though!
-sj
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rev_contactor_almost_done_2.jpg (193.7 KB, 26 views)
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-29-2011, 08:42 PM   #12
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicj View Post
you can replace the aluminum foil bus bars in the switch with chunky copper bars if you are the crafty type.
here is a example. again, probably not the best solution for high current, but certainly a step up from the stock bar. if i had to do it again, i would make the bars long enough to allow for the connections to be made outside the switch. the bar in the photo was too thick for the stock fasteners so i went to the local nut & bolt store and they hooked me up with some thinner nuts that worked out. had to chop a bunch of plastic out with the dremel. also, spent what seemed like forever sanding all of the pits & gouges out of the stock cam contacts.

the reversing contactor is a far more elegant solution imo! plus it saves you like 10 or 12ft of wire which equals some ¢hange if you're pulling 2/0!
-sj
Attached Images
File Type: jpg switch_bar.jpg (80.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 05-02-2011, 06:14 AM   #13
DBlom
Not Yet Wild

Old Mec - is a Series cart; my concern was over upgrading to 2/0 cables and the thought they would be too stiff to rotate with the switch. Looks like alternative is to rig a low-voltage controlled solenoidal switcher (is that what is shown in the pics above?)
DBlom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:20 AM   #14
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The 2g cables will not be stiff if you get premium welding cable with 600 plus strand count with neoprene jacket. The hard part is finding a good quality end with the 1/4" hole in it for the CC F&R S1 and S2 connections

Yes, that is an Albright 400 amp switching contactor. They are also available in 200 and some are saying they are using a less expensive clone but, I don't know how those will hold up?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:32 AM   #15
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
The 2g cables
00 AWG (aka 2/0) ≠ 2 AWG
Old 05-02-2011, 06:36 AM   #16
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicj View Post
00 AWG (aka 2/0) ≠ 2 AWG
WTH is that? Are you trying to tell us 2g is not 00?
Old 05-02-2011, 06:58 AM   #17
DBlom
Not Yet Wild

yes, understand that 2/0 is significantly bigger than 2g - that's why I'm concerned about using the beefed-up FR switch on the CC DS. Yes, I'm planning to go all the way to 2/0, and rigging a low-voltage switching contactor looks like a very good idea, mostly to alleviate any moving heavy-current cables and eleiminate a significant length of same. Contactors are quite pricey, though. Any feedback on the $199 import SW202 and how it holds up?
Old 05-02-2011, 07:08 AM   #18
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

2/0 cable? Why?
Old 05-02-2011, 08:14 AM   #19
DBlom
Not Yet Wild

Scottyb - Higher ampacity and lower loss. I do admit that my approach is more theoretical than pragmatic - this is my first build, and I certainly do appreciate the inputs from all those who are generous enough to offer them. I take it from your response that while you've experienced the difference 2g cables can make (+++), you feel that going to 2/0 is chasing diminishing returns (the juice just ain't worth the squeeze?).
Killing losses is also why I like the electrical contactor approach - it would allow all of the direction-switching heavy cables to be short (< 2'); nothing kills losses like making the cables thicker and shorter. I'm thinking now of adapting my stock FR switch to just use the micro-switch portion to provide Reverse switching voltage (16V) to the electrical contactor mounted locally to the motor. The savings in cable length alone (@ 2/0) might even pay for the contactor.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:21 AM   #20
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If I sound a little incredulous about the gains or lack of losses, it is because I see this done on 36v carts with old batteries. More loss could eliminated by replacing the wheel bearings in some of these old carts. But it is fun to play with this stuff as long as you don't get too serious and expect some seat of the pants results from the 00 cable. Heck, the added weight alone might slow her down
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car