lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-16-2011, 07:17 AM   #1
malibu
Not Yet Wild

Default Powerdrive charger breaker popping out

I have a 1999 Club Car DS 48 volt with a Powerdrive charger. It's been working fine until a week ago. Hubby used 2 extension cords on the charger, now every time we plug it in, the 15amp breaker pops out after a couple of minutes...is the breaker bad or is it something else....do you think using the extension cords caused the problem?
malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-16-2011, 07:52 AM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: Powerdrive charger breaker popping out

breaker went bad or rectifier?? breakers do get weak over time i don,t think the extention cords caused either one to go bad but you shouldn,t use one at all and if you have to it should be as short as possible and heavy enough gage...........................oh and welcome..........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:22 AM   #3
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
breaker went bad or rectifier?? breakers do get weak over time i don,t think the extention cords caused either one to go bad but you shouldn,t use one at all and if you have to it should be as short as possible and heavy enough gage...........................oh and welcome..........................
X2

The rectifier is also called a diod tree. The first time I started calling looking for a rectifier the parts people at CC and other parts places didn't know what I was talking about! I had to show them in the book where it is listed as a rectifier. Then they still said, "that's a diod tree".
Colbyntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:29 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The situation as I read it is the AC breaker is popping when you use the charger on 2 extension cords.

The 2 extension cords will result in an amperage drop. Try the charger plugged directly into a garage or outdoor service outlet.

Other wise these breakers do get old and weak. Repeated tripping can further weaken them. Replace it and eliminate too much small extension cord ... long extensions must be 10 or 12g wire to maintain amperage.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:20 AM   #5
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
The 2 extension cords will result in an amperage drop.
i think you meant voltage drop... amperage goes up.
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car