lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-13-2011, 02:18 AM   #1
noserider
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default What body to choose

Guys

I'm considering building a custom painted cart with Southwest Airlines aircraft colors for both paint and leather seats. I'm a former SWA pilot and I think it could be very cool. Because the aircraft has 3 or 4 colors I'm thinking a cart that has a larger paintable surface to make a statement might be the way to go. What model carts have larger bodies?

Thanks
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-13-2011, 06:08 AM   #2
rose88
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: What body to choose

You will find the Club Car DS to be a good choice with alot of parts availability as well.
rose88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:44 AM   #3
noserider
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose88 View Post
You will find the Club Car DS to be a good choice with alot of parts availability as well.
Well I did buy one of those recently so that's good to hear. It does seem like the body is a bit smaller in mass than others but it might just look it since it's not lifted with big wheels yet.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:58 AM   #4
rustyoldcar
Getting Wild
Club Car

The Club Car Precedent has WAY more body panel area than the DS. Although I prefer the style of the DS but that is preference. The Precedent looks far more modern too and there are TONS of aftermarket parts for it as well. Another plus is the body is easier to remove on the Precedent, and if you screw it up they are cheap to replace ( $ 350 here local for a whole new body less bumpers and trim). This style of cart has bumpers and rocker trim that I think are separate from the body that can also be painted your prefered color for a two or three tone look. I know they can be painted as the local dealer sells them in custom schemes. Google images of this cart and you will see what I mean.
rustyoldcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:24 PM   #5
rustyoldcar
Getting Wild
Club Car

I have been thinking about this a bit, and other reasons to go with the Club Car, it has an aluminum frame just like your plane, it is made in USA (mostly), and it is considered by many to be more "top of the line" than EZ GO . It also comes factory equipped with;

Attitude indicator
Airspeed indicator
Magnetic compass
Heading indicator
Turn indicator
Vertical speed indicator
Course deviation indicator
Radio Magnetic Indicator

A Yamaha cart would be TOTALLY inappropriate as they have a chinese made motor , Yuck !!!

From a stylistic standpoint, I LOVE aluminum parts on these carts. I have built two DS carts with all aluminum rear flip bed/seats from MM Vehicles. They look great. I even removed the front windshield frame from a post 2000 cart and replaced it with the older style because the older one was aluminum. I also prefer the pre 2000 seats as they are two piece bucket style backs by the way. Google images of the older DS and the newer one, the top and top supports are different and affects the look. You can interchange from year to year though. The DS with all aluminum hardware has a quality look and feel to it, and the body does look more aircraft-ish in an old Cessna 172 sort of way, so +1 for the DS in my book. Either cart you get, put an all aluminum seat on, more money but better looking, and then paint it and post pics !!!!
rustyoldcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:59 PM   #6
noserider
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyoldcar View Post
I have been thinking about this a bit, and other reasons to go with the Club Car, it has an aluminum frame just like your plane, it is made in USA (mostly), and it is considered by many to be more "top of the line" than EZ GO . It also comes factory equipped with;

Attitude indicator
Airspeed indicator
Magnetic compass
Heading indicator
Turn indicator
Vertical speed indicator
Course deviation indicator
Radio Magnetic Indicator

A Yamaha cart would be TOTALLY inappropriate as they have a chinese made motor , Yuck !!!

From a stylistic standpoint, I LOVE aluminum parts on these carts. I have built two DS carts with all aluminum rear flip bed/seats from MM Vehicles. They look great. I even removed the front windshield frame from a post 2000 cart and replaced it with the older style because the older one was aluminum. I also prefer the pre 2000 seats as they are two piece bucket style backs by the way. Google images of the older DS and the newer one, the top and top supports are different and affects the look. You can interchange from year to year though. The DS with all aluminum hardware has a quality look and feel to it, and the body does look more aircraft-ish in an old Cessna 172 sort of way, so +1 for the DS in my book. Either cart you get, put an all aluminum seat on, more money but better looking, and then paint it and post pics !!!!

Thanks Rusty

All good points. I'm new to carts. My neighborhood just went golf cart friendly so I bought a starter(2004 DS 48V stock) to wet my whistle while I dream up a good design for a custom. Currently driving it around everyday with my 1 year old lab and GF. It's been a great addition to the toy box. My neighborhood has some nice parks and we are on a lake. I might buy another cart that is ready to roll lifted to have a cart to use while I build my custom. I have been looking through the archives here and other places getting ideas on what I like in different styles. I have noticed the older carts with the 2 piece back seats look better to my eyes. Funny you should mention the aircraft instruments. I was thinking of making a custom dashboard and incorporating those into the panel for show. Have you seen any carts like this? I was also thinking of doing the SWA Logo with the wings into the seat backs on both front and rear seats with the SWA two tone leather to match. With the colorful paint and interior colors SWA has gone to on their last update I think it could look pretty sweet. Hope other will chime in with some ideas and together we can build a cool cart
Old 07-13-2011, 02:38 PM   #7
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Here's a thread to wet your whistle on: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/road-...zgo-build.html

A couple of shots of TerryH's cart:

dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:24 PM   #8
noserider
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmcp View Post
Here's a thread to wet your whistle on: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/road-...zgo-build.html

A couple of shots of TerryH's cart:

Thanks Doug

I stumbled across that thread a few days ago. Now that's a build.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:42 PM   #9
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyoldcar View Post
Attitude indicator
i have a attitude indicator sittin' here gathering dust. never thought about installing in my golf cart... lol!
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:50 PM   #10
gaminde
Gone Wild
Club Car

SONICJ !

But you live in Florida does it go negative
gaminde is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car