lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-14-2011, 05:36 PM   #1
atrupiano
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 12v Power question

I hooked up a deep cycle marine battery today and transferred over my running lights and strobe lights. The running lights work fine. The stobes would not work. The 12v bat is reading 12.8, it is still charging up as I write. If I take the strobe + lead and hook it to a + side of a 6 volt battery in my pack the strobes work fine. Is this happening because the marine battery is not charged up enough yet? or do I have another problem. Is there any problem with just leaving the stobes hooked up to just the + side of one of my 6 volts. It is grounded back to the marine battery.
atrupiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-14-2011, 05:59 PM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 12v Power question

What you describe is fundamentally impossible, so I would say YES, you have another problem.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
atrupiano
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok so can you explain why it is impossible?
Old 07-14-2011, 06:19 PM   #4
rib33024

Where do your grounds run to for the strobes ?
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:19 PM   #5
Russ/TN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

No grounds to the frame....right?
Russ/TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:26 PM   #6
atrupiano
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Here is a picture of the hook up. The marine battery is in the bag well. You can see the single red lead to the bottom right battery. The negative goes to a grounding block under then environmental cover. The grounding block goes back to the marine battery.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0191.jpg (185.3 KB, 21 views)
Old 07-14-2011, 06:26 PM   #7
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrupiano View Post
Ok so can you explain why it is impossible?
Because your 12v battery is isolated from the 36v pack. If you get the positive from the isolated 12v battery and a negative from your pack, something is wired wrong somewhere. I am also concerned with the voltage value across these two connections. Have you measured it? Describe the strobe lights themselves, what material they are made from, and how and where they are mounted to the cart.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:28 PM   #8
Kix
Not Yet Wild

Your first sentence said "I hooked up a deep cycle marine battery today and transferred over my running lights and strobe lights" Did you transfer the + AND the - from your strobes?
Then you said: "I take the strobe + lead and hook it to a + side of a 6 volt battery in my pack the strobes work fine That statement is telling me that the - lead of the strobe is NOT hooked to the 12v battery.
12 volt wiring MUST complete a circuit from + through your load (strobe) and back to - to complete the circuit. What you are suggesting is that you connected + lead to 12 v source and - lead to what should be a totally isolated source and the load (strobe) worked.......that's impossible. If it's isolated
Kix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:01 PM   #9
atrupiano
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

The strobes are plastic screwed onto plastic lights nothing to the frame. The volts from the grounding block to the 6 volt wont measure it says .05 volts so something is so wrong......the ground for the strobes is hooked behind the dash to the ground for the running lights which goes back to the grounding block which runs to the marine battery. I think I will just run the strobe ground back to the 6 volt pack and run the strobes off of the pack. That way it is grounded the right way. It is just frustrating that they wont run off of the marine battery. The picture is the strobe control.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0190 (2).JPG (263.3 KB, 13 views)
Old 07-14-2011, 08:07 PM   #10
dougmcp
Gone Wild

If the strobes are LED's, they are polarity sensitive, try reversing the polarity.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO