lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-21-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
nick731
Getting Wild

Default Bought a new DS ! very slow!! batteries?

hello everyone! I bought a 2001 DS 48 volt yesterday. the guy did not have the batteries charged ina long while and only an hour before i got there to see it. I promised it all worked great etc etc. i did get a very good deal so i felt good about it. The cart is very slow!! I put it on the charger about 9 pm and today about 10 am i took it for a spin. really slow! the batteries ahd some pretty bad corrosion so i cleaned it off with some pray. then i checked the voltages..... 4 of the batteries had about 6 volts.. the other two had less. I then checked the water levels and the middle two batteries were completely dry. THEN i realized that the middle two bateries only had 3 cells, not 4! does that mean that two of my battereis to my 48 volt cart are 6 volt batteries? also the charger had not completed its cycle before i took it off it was still about 7.5. Does it sound like new batteries are going to be necessary? do you think any damage has been done?
nick731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-21-2011, 02:01 PM   #2
gaminde
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Bought a new DS ! very slow!! batteries?

so i cleaned it off with some pray
cleaning with pray is not going to cut it they need to be removed and wire brushed.

1 its not going to charge correctly
2 its not going to run its fastest

unless you have good batteries, charge each one with an automotive charger individually set to 12 volts 2 to 4 hours, loose the 6 volt batteries.

after charging do a voltage check and hydrometer test, replace all bad batteries if some are good try to find good used ones if not replace all . get back to us in a few days when your finished.
gaminde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:28 PM   #3
nick731
Getting Wild

ok thanks gaminde! ill get on that and report back! is there a particular order/method when uncoupling the batteries as to not shock anything (or me lol) also i am not familiar witht he hydro test. thanks! Nick
Old 07-21-2011, 02:36 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

All the batteries are connected in series, pos to neg. Only 2 battery cables do not go to another battery. These two are the battery main pos & neg to the cart.

Make a complete diagram of how the batteries are cabled and note any small wires connected to batteries also. Disconnect one or two of the battery main connections first... be careful, there is enough amperage in those half dead batteries to weld metal and burn skin if you short one or more out.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:10 PM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

you have 2 wrong batteries in the cart if they have 3 holes they are only 6 volt batteries so charger is never going to work right and cart isn,t going to run right.......best thing for you if you got a good deal is to buy a new set of 8 volt batteries.................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:27 PM   #6
nick731
Getting Wild

ok thanks for the continued help guys, turns out its just one 6 volt battery, the rest are 8 lol. i will def get the 6 volt changed out and see if i can bring new life to the others and report back. only want to drop the money if i have to!!
Old 07-21-2011, 06:48 PM   #7
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

you mentioned one or more being dry also?? if thats the case don,t waste your time with that one either........try and find the date code on them see how old they are......i realize batteries arn,t cheap but they are the life of the cart and the last place to cut corners or skimp if you do you,ll never be happey with it or enjoy it..............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car