lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-25-2011, 04:12 PM   #1
lanestephens
Not Yet Wild

Default brakes, axle and lug nut issue

I've got a lifted 03 Club Car, electric. I've had a problem with brakes locking up, so I ordered the extender kit and installed it today. After installing, even without any pressure on the brakes, I noticed they are still sticking. I tried the trick of going in reverse and pumping, trying to get the self adjustment mechanism to work (if it even has it..just read on a post to try that.) So next I jacked up the cart and gave it some gas. passenger side rear wheel turns when giving the gas, but nothing on the driver side. It is like it is frozen up, although I can get it to turn by hand with a lot of pressure.

So first question is should both rear wheels turn when gas pedal is appplied or does it work with a single drive tire? If both should be turning, then I definitely have more a problem than I can probably fix.

Second, if it is not supposed to turn when gas applied, I'm assuming it should be free wheeling like the front tires and I've probably got a brake issue.

Thinking maybe I had a brake issue, I tried to take off the driver side rear tire. 3 lug nuts came off fine. 4th lug nut???>>>>I don't know if the lug nut is stripped or if the lug itself is bad. It just spins and will not back off. Any ideas on how to proceed with the lug issue is also appreciated.

lanestephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-25-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: brakes, axle and lug nut issue

only one wheel will turn but you should be able to just spin the other one....if your feeling pressure than there is some.......i know on e-z,s you can swap the backing plates and mount them upside down to take care of that problem but have never heard anyone try it on a C.C..................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:02 PM   #3
lanestephens
Not Yet Wild

I've been fighting the lug some more, and I'm pretty sure its the entire lug that is spinning. I was able to snake a small piece of wire behine the wheel, and as I turn the lug nut I can feel the lug turning. So...now what??? Do I need to try and drill the darn thing out? and how difficult is that going to be since the lug is spinning. I was hoping to be able to remove the hub assembly and perhaps grind down the head of the lug, but I can't figure out how to remove the hub with the wheel still on it. It doesn't seem as simple as a trailer hub.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:06 PM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

well if you can get a dremal tool with a cutoff wheel you can cut the nut off the lug or just cut the whole lug off ..............if its spinning chances are your gonna have to replace it anyways...........................
Old 07-25-2011, 05:23 PM   #5
lanestephens
Not Yet Wild

I've got a dremel, just not sure how I'm going to get to it to cut it off. its got oversized tires and wheels and the lug nuts are set it to the wheel assembly pretty deep. I may have to try and drill them off. UUUGGGGGHHH.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:32 PM   #6
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

thats not gonna be fun...can you get a nut splitter on them..................
Old 07-25-2011, 08:01 PM   #7
lanestephens
Not Yet Wild

Giving up for the night. Went an bought titanium bits and they don't cut it. Going to see if I can find cobalt bits tomorrow. I think I'm close to at least getting the lug nut off. If I can get that broke off i can then get the wheel off and I'll be in business.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:41 PM   #8
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

yes the cobalt bits should kick butt over the other ones..........i just went thur this with some 1/4 inch stainless steel..........i tried the titanium bits and couldn,t drill one hole so i bought a few cobalt and it drilled thur like butter......i figured i wouldn,t get that many holes out of the bit so i bought 2 of them but never needed the 2nd one..............my wife let me buy a set of cobalts for fathers day god bless her..........i know there are better bits but i couldn,t be happier with the set i got.................i beleive they are milwalkee bits..........the set was 60.00 bucks and worth every penny........................
Old 07-26-2011, 07:54 PM   #9
lanestephens
Not Yet Wild

So, the cobalt bits finally did the trick, that coupled with a huge old two handle slow speed drill that I inherited from by GrandPa. Order two lug and lug nut which will be in tomorrow. So once I got the wheel off, I first went behind the hub assembly and unhooked the brake cable. Low and behold, once I did that the hub started turning. Next I went ahead and pulled the hub off, as I've got to replace the lug. I moved the lever that the brake cable was attached to back and forth and got a little movement out of it. I then decided to just try and put it all back together to see what would happen. I reattached the brake cable and then I tried to slide the hub back on. It was extremely tight, so I didn't force it. I'm kind of now at a loss as to what to do. Some where on the forum I thought I had found a picture series that someone posted on how to do a brake job on an ezgo. Does anyone on here know of similar posting on club car, or does the ezgo brake job pretty well match up? If that is the case, does anyone have a direct link to that posting, as I've tried to find it again and now cannot locate it.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:14 PM   #10
lanestephens
Not Yet Wild

Nevermind on the pics>>>i finally found that post and now I know why I can't get the hub back on. I've got to back down on the bolt at the top of the assembly.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car