lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-24-2011, 09:25 AM   #11
ramblin-wreck
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: voltage reducer switch help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammer View Post
Whatever you decide to do, will you update us here (pics would be great!) becuase I am going through the same thing right now and would like to know what worked for you. Also, which reducer did you purhcase and where? Thanks.
I've actually decided to go with an extra battery. Old mec seems to be having success with a electric scooter battery so I'm going to try to find one like that. There are so many reducers out there that I was going into information overload looking for one. Add in the fact that I wanted one that was powerful enough for lights and a stereo and I also wanted to add a switch or relay to control the power to it and it just became too much. I'm much more confident in my ability to "control" 12 volts instead of 48 and I can always just remove the battery completely if I am worried about power issues. My plan is to install the battery in the center compartment of the dash behing the dash cover and instead of installing the radio and speakers in the dash use one of the overhead consoles. This wasn't my first choice but I'm hoping it will work and maybe eliminate some of the static issues that are associated with our carts. I'll take pics when everything is finished (hopefully!).
ramblin-wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-24-2011, 10:28 AM   #12
Rammer
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblin-wreck View Post
I've actually decided to go with an extra battery. Old mec seems to be having success with a electric scooter battery so I'm going to try to find one like that. There are so many reducers out there that I was going into information overload looking for one. Add in the fact that I wanted one that was powerful enough for lights and a stereo and I also wanted to add a switch or relay to control the power to it and it just became too much. I'm much more confident in my ability to "control" 12 volts instead of 48 and I can always just remove the battery completely if I am worried about power issues. My plan is to install the battery in the center compartment of the dash behing the dash cover and instead of installing the radio and speakers in the dash use one of the overhead consoles. This wasn't my first choice but I'm hoping it will work and maybe eliminate some of the static issues that are associated with our carts. I'll take pics when everything is finished (hopefully!).
Thanks. I was thinking of going that route as well. i just really didn't want to have to charge that acc battery separate - call me lazy, I know. All I want to run is a small motorcycle amp that I have mounted inside a tube, which has two 5 inch speakers mounted on each end. The amp is powered by a 12V "cigarette lighter" style male adapter, which has an inline power switch already. I've mounted a headphone adapter in the tube to plug in an ipod. So, i just need to find 12 volts somewhere on my cart to power the 12V cigarette lighter female adapter, which I plan to dash mount. I hate to buy/mount a separate battery for just that. I checked the voltage coming from the breaker that powers my winch and it's 15V, which i think is a little much for that small motorcycle amp. there's got to be 12V somewhere on that cart.
Rammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:14 AM   #13
ramblin-wreck
Getting Wild
Club Car

I purchased the Interstate equivalent battery yesterday (sealed AGM, 12 volt, 35 amp) and have it on charge now. I'm trying the same battery tender jr. that I use on my sportbike but it seems to be taking forever to charge so I may end up having to purchase an actual charger. I also got my "regal burl" dash and got it installed and it looks great! Just checked and the matching stereo console was delivered today so as soon as I get my speakers and head unit from Amazon I can start getting everything else installed.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:38 AM   #14
ramblin-wreck
Getting Wild
Club Car

Unfortunately they shipped the wrong radio console so now I've got to hope they will make it right in a fairly short length of time.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car