lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-31-2013, 07:04 PM   #21
Dr.Love
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Help! Ezgo wont go!

Since the solenoid doesnt click when I hit the gas could it be something in the pedal box?
Dr.Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-31-2013, 08:40 PM   #22
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yes, It could be the peddle box micro switch (ms) or the ms supply, Check at the key.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:11 PM   #23
Dr.Love
Not Yet Wild

Scottyb did you see my post about what i got when I checked the controllor? Checked the wiring and everything is wired right. How would I go about checking the ms switch?
Old 02-01-2013, 09:33 AM   #24
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Most of the time the problem is in the activation circuit, not the solenoid itself.

The solenoid needs + and - present at the 2 small terminals to activate. When it does you will hear a click .
Use you meter to see if it in fact getting the + and - signal. If not, move 1 of your test leads to then battery pack main + and see if the - is present (blue wire) then from the battery main - see if the + is present at the yellow (red) wire.

The - is supplied by the controller.
The + takes a long course through the key and peddle box, see chart below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ezgo PDS solenoid activation diagram.jpg (142.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-01-2013, 10:14 AM   #25
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Clarification please.

Earlier in the thread, it was stated the solenoid clicked when the F/R was put into F or R.
That would mean the pedal microswitch had failed with the NC contacts continuously closed or the PDS to DCX adapter had a short between J1 Pin 8 and J4 Pin-1, or something along those lines.

So, is the solenoid closing and staying closed when the F or R is selected with out the pedal being pushed?
Or does it close, making a sound, and then drop out and doesn't close when pedal is pushed. (Because it is already closed)
Or isn't it closing at all?

Also, there may be more than one problem, but some details about when certain voltage readings were taken are missing.

Where on the motor did you read 38V? Between A1 and A2?
If so, what conditions existed? Key ON, F/R in F, pedal pushed to floor?

There is a resistor across the solenoid's contacts (large terminals), which will give some unexpected voltage readings that are difficult to interpret correctly, so it may be a good idea to remove the resistor while troubleshooting and reinstall it after the problem(s) is solved.

As I see it, the first task is to get the solenoid closing when it is supposed to be closing, but at this point I'm not sure if it is closing or not, or when it is closing.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #26
Dr.Love
Not Yet Wild

I believe you are to something here scottyb. I think i might have the blue and yellow wire on the wrong sides of the solenoid. Didnt think it mattered when I wired up the other night.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #27
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It does not matter which side you put + or - activation wire to on the solenoid.

It does very much matter which side of the diode is connected to the + and - wires.
See diagram

P.S.
This is a PDS cart the solenoid will click in and out when the key is turned on or it is shifted.
In light of the last comment I suspect he reversed the diode and blew the peddle box MS ? But we can only guess until we get enough information....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resistor & Diode instruction01.jpg (232.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-01-2013, 11:30 AM   #28
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
P.S.
This is a PDS cart the solenoid will click in and out when the key is turned on or it is shifted.
I learn something new about carts almost every day.
I never noticed that happening with my 2008 PDS, but I don't hear a lot of things these days.
I'll have to listen closer when it warms up.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #29
Dr.Love
Not Yet Wild

Havent installed a diode or resistor yet. Only thing i have done was change solenoid. I did however go from a hevay duty solenoid to a super duty one. solenoid clicks when cart is put in gear but doesnt when gas is pushed.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #30
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Love View Post
Havent installed a diode or resistor yet. Only thing i have done was change solenoid. I did however go from a hevay duty solenoid to a super duty one. solenoid clicks when cart is put in gear but doesnt when gas is pushed.
That's your problem.
Study the wiring. We can't see it but something is wired wrong. The new solenoid wires up Exactly like the old one
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO