lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-23-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
flharleycop
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default EZ go project 36 v 48

I just picked up a EZ go by the chart on the sticky its is a PDS, I know it needs new batteries, charger, tires and front cap. The cart has headlights, tails and horn. I want to make it Florida street legal so I know i need to add a good bit to it. I picked it up at a good price so I know I need to put some money into it. It is a lifted four seat cart now and they said it was fast before it sat in the backyard rotting. Would there be a reason to make it a 48 volt cart since I need new batteries and charger now? I want to use it on the beach and that is about a 10 mile drive round trip so I need some run time. Also can I purchase an on board charger and are they costly since I already need one anyway? I just want to be able to plug in once at a place if i need to or charge on a Honda Generator while at beach.
I searched here first before asking, and once I start I am sure I will have many questions. I have no idea yet how old this is, it looks like about 5-8 years old its the current style with headlights.
Thanks !!
flharleycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-23-2013, 03:49 PM   #2
flharleycop
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZ go project 36 v 48

I know now that it is a 2007 ST Sport 2+2 I think its a 36 volt, what advantage is it to make it a 48 v and is that possible?
Old 02-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
dmi518
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

checkout http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Home_Page.html. there is info about the advantages. The owner scotty b is a member and sponsor here, his customer service is top notch.
dmi518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
bigpoppi
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

ScottyB has helped me out immensely, He has steered me in my venture upgrading to 48 v, it is a bit expensive, but worth it....... think of your end goal as you get more toys on the way... have fun..
bigpoppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:45 PM   #5
flharleycop
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

what advantage does a 48 set up have over a 36? I am looking for street legal so I need the speed and need it to go about 25 miles without charge.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:08 AM   #6
bigpoppi
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Hoping that my memory serves me right, volts = speed, amps = torque.... as far as longevity, I doubt any cart, unless gas, will travel 25 miles without a charge, the 48 volt will get you up to 25 miles per hour with larger tires and the right controller, but 25 miles, distance, bring more batteries or get a Chev Volt, 38 miles on a charge....
bigpoppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:21 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by flharleycop View Post
what advantage does a 48 set up have over a 36? I am looking for street legal so I need the speed and need it to go about 25 miles without charge.
Bigpoppi is right about Amps equating to Torque and Volts equating to Speed, but when you toss run-time (range) into the equation, the two overlap.

No matter what the voltage is, it takes the same amount of energy to move a cart from Point-A to Point-B.
Electrical energy is measured in Watts and Watts are Volts times Amps. (Ohm's law I x E = P)
Therefore it takes fewer Amps at 48V to move a cart a given distance then it take to move the same cart the same distance at 36V.

You have a PDS cart, so obtaining the speed needed to be street legal in FL is a fairly easy task, even at 36V.
An aftermarket controller that does not limit the Sepex motor RPM like the stock PDS controller does, will get you into the low 20's speed-wise.
Then increasing the stock tire height of 18" up to 20" will get you into the mid-20's.
You can't get something for nothing, so torque and/or range suffer in the above mentioned set-up.
(To recover the torque lost due to the taller tires, you have to allow he motor to draw more amps, which in turn, shortens the range of a stock 36V battery pack)

Range (Run-time) is determined by how many Watt-hours are stored in the battery pack and a 48V battery pack consisting of six T-875 batteries (8V - 170AH) stores roughly the same amount of electrical energy as a 36V battery pack consisting of six T-105 batteries (6V - 225AH), so both will have about the same range.

For maximum range, you need to carry the maximum number of Watts.
In other words, a 48V battery pack made up of eight T-145 (6V 260AH) batteries.

Range is my primary goal, but I wanted to keep everything under the seat and didn't want to do the modifications needed to stuff the eighth battery in space occupied by the controller, so I went with a 42V battery pack consisting of seven 245AH batteries.

I won't know the range until I put it together and measure it, but I calculate it will be well over 20 miles without going below 60% SoC.
If it isn't, I'll have to move the controller and add an eighth battery.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:48 AM   #8
flharleycop
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

WOW thanks I am learning a lot from you guys. Is there an onboard charger so all you have to do is plug the cart directly to the outlet with out carrying the big charger around and all the cords with it? If so I could plug the cart into my small Honda 2000 and charge while at the beach and gain some range back. What are your thoughts on that?
Old 02-24-2013, 09:12 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

On-board chargers are available. This is one of the better brands.
http://www.chargingchargers.com/quic...-a-charge.html
Your Honda 200 shouldn't have any problems powering either the 15A or 25A versions of the 48V charger.

I'd steer clear of the Delta-Q and Powerwise-QE series as well as the Pro-Tech line.

If you decide on a stand-alone charger, the DPI is on of the best.
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/48v_Battery_Charger.html
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:35 AM   #10
Great white north
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

with JB go the 48volt 8-6volt 260 ah battery route
You will not regret it
Great white north is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, build, volts
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO