lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-09-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
Mr.ken
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Batteries 8v vs 12 v

I need to replace the batteries on my 28 v cc. It has 6 8 volt batteries. A local company advertises 4 12 volt deep cycles that they say work better. Has anyone tried this??? Aside from weight savings, any other advantages???
Mr.ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #2
beau
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Batteries 8v vs 12 v

Works better for whom you might ask? Certainly not for you. Reduced run time. Stick with the 6-8's. Some company's are using 8-6volts to increase the run time.
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:16 PM   #3
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ken View Post
I need to replace the batteries on my 28 v cc. It has 6 8 volt batteries. A local company advertises 4 12 volt deep cycles that they say work better. Has anyone tried this??? Aside from weight savings, any other advantages???
I don't want to sound like a jerk here at all so first let me say that is not my intent.

This is "Golf Cart 101" stuff here, there are countless threads detailing the differences between 12 and 8 volt batteries on almost every electric cart section on this forum. The 4 12 volt setup will not last as long as the 6 8 volt setup. Also, a regular 12 volt deep cycle battery will not work, it has to be a battery specifically designed for golf carts. IMO, go with the 6 8 volt setup, and get the highest amp-hour rated batteries you can afford. If well taken care of, you'll be glad you did.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

The more batteries you can get that add up to 48v means more run time...
In theory, forty-eight 1v batteries wired in series would produce an incredible run time!

So no, 12v batteries do not "work better"
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #5
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I disagree with these statements! The thing that determines runtime is Amp Hours and Voltage. At a given voltage (36 or 4 the only thing that affects runtime is the Amp Hour Rating of the batteries. If your 8V batteries have higher Amp Hour rating than 12V batteries then a pack made with 6 8V will out perform a 4 12V pack. If the Amp Hour Ratings were the same then it would make no difference.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:02 PM   #6
Mr.ken
Gone Wild

Club Car

I appreciate the responses. I am kind of an electrical dummy. I don't use the cart much but lack of proper charging killed the last batteries. Just tryin to get the best option
Mr.ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #7
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

I'm not going to disagreeing at all with Volt, the fact that the amp-hour ratings are what affect runtime is absolutely correct, but that runtime is the runtime between charges. Regardless whether or not the batteries are 8 or 12 volt, the higher the amp-hour the longer you will be able to go on a full charge.

HOWEVER: Even when properly cared for, the overall lifespan of a pack of 4 12 volt golf cart batteries is shorter than that of a pack of 6 8 volt batteries or 8 6 volt batteries. I am sure there is a specific explanation as to why this is so, but I do not know it. I do, however, know that numerous people have made the switch from 4 12 volts to 6 8 volts to lengthen the lifespan of their expensive batteries.

For longevity of your batteries, I would still recommend going with the 6 8 volt configuration, and as Volt pointed out, if you want the runtime between charges to be longer shop around for the highest amp-hour rated batteries you can find. Also, break the batteries in properly and maintain them per the instructions on this site, and you'll get several years of service from your batteries.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:12 PM   #8
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

I believe you get more out of 8 volt due to extra surface area of the plates and plate thickness, of course I have been known to be wrong so do some homework.
Speedchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #9
Dale-D
Gone Wild

Club Car

Why not use 8 6 volt batteries then
Dale-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:21 PM   #10
beau
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedchaser View Post
I believe you get more out of 8 volt due to extra surface area of the plates and plate thickness, of course I have been known to be wrong so do some homework.
There is no substitute for surface area in my line of work. Interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale-D View Post
Why not use 8 6 volt batteries then
The Star EV line of carts uses 8-6v in their 48v carts.
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car