lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-02-2014, 02:21 AM   #1
Nicksel1
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Ezgo series 36v adding Alltrax Spm controller

So currently I have 36v with the stock controller, stock f/r switch and Scotty b's
400/1000 amp solenoid and 0 gauge cables with a plum fast bandit motor with low profile rims and tires. 12" I think. No lift kit.

I want to buy the Alltrax SPM-48600 600 amp controller and Scotty's HD f/r switch and 6"lift and 14" rim tire combo.

Currently I am hitting 20mph on flat land, although it takes an awful long time to get there.

Just wondering what kind of speed and or torque I will gain by adding the controller. I'd assume i will gain top speed due to the larger tires but will i gain any torque since I'd lose that to the big tires? Anyone have a similar setup? I'll upgrade to 48v when the batteries need replaced. Looking for advice before I drop $800 on the controller and switch!!!
Nicksel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-02-2014, 03:53 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo series 36v adding Alltrax Spm controller

well to be honest....going up to a 600 amp controller is a bit of overkill.....now you say you are going to go to 14" Wheels, the question I have is WHY? just get a larger tire for your current 12" wheels. I am running 23" tall tires on 12" wheels. and I have a SPM 485000 controller....with that, you will gain a bit more speed, but lose a little torque, but that isn't because you are going to put a bigger controller in. truly the controller isn't what is going to make your cart faster. GRANTED, with the bigger tires and the lift, it will put a bigger drag on the system and the stock controller won't last a long time. so going to a bigger controller is needed. you can see in my sig what I have in mine, the only difference is I have a AMD RAPTOR Speed Motor, the Bandit is more for Torque.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:01 AM   #3
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

With only the controller and no other changes you will not gain any speed in your series cart. Speed can only be increased in a series cart by one of the following:

1) increased voltage
2) larger tires
3) gear change
4) motor swap

As for your new speed if you installed larger tires, we don't need rim size, we need tire diameter. Here's an example. Assuming you have 18" tires now at 20 mph and go up to 22" tires you speed will increase to ~25 mph.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:08 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

What is the new tire height?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:27 AM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Also, as i am currently learning, Spm 600 doesnt fit in original mounting location, cabinet is too long. The spm 500 is offered in the shorter cabinet that will fit in stock location.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:40 PM   #6
Nicksel1
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
What is the new tire height?
23x10.5-14 is the tire size
Old 04-02-2014, 04:42 PM   #7
Nicksel1
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
well to be honest....going up to a 600 amp controller is a bit of overkill.....now you say you are going to go to 14" Wheels, the question I have is WHY? just get a larger tire for your current 12" wheels. I am running 23" tall tires on 12" wheels. and I have a SPM 485000 controller....with that, you will gain a bit more speed, but lose a little torque, but that isn't because you are going to put a bigger controller in. truly the controller isn't what is going to make your cart faster. GRANTED, with the bigger tires and the lift, it will put a bigger drag on the system and the stock controller won't last a long time. so going to a bigger controller is needed. you can see in my sig what I have in mine, the only difference is I have a AMD RAPTOR Speed Motor, the Bandit is more for Torque.

I have sold my 12"rim tire combo, so i have to buy new anyway and the 14"rim just looks way cooler. Lol and as far as the controller goes I figured when I haul 4 people and all our softball gear it would be eaiser on the 600a controller and also want to go 48v when it's battery time.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:41 PM   #8
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

well Nicksel1, I too have a rear seat, and can/do load it up with 4 FULL sized adults and I am currently running 36v, and my SPM48500 system doesn't even blink.....and that controller as well will work with 48v as well, which I will do when the batteries need to be replaced. Just remember, if you do go with the SPM 48600, the case of that controller is LONG, its 16" long, so it won't fit in the regular configuration, you will have to come up with a different way to mount it.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:54 PM   #9
financethis
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Do any of you with the 48500 have the hd pinch hubs? Or just the stock ones?
financethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:26 PM   #10
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by financethis View Post
Do any of you with the 48500 have the hd pinch hubs? Or just the stock ones?
currently, mine are all good......so mine are stock, but if even ONE of them goes out.....I am replacing them both with the pinch hubs.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO