lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-06-2014, 05:24 AM   #11
JMGreco
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery Break in Question

Johnnie,

Good morning, voltage after full charge and in float cycle this morning is 52.7. Checked voltage with different DVM and voltage is 52.7. Double checked DPI charger setting an confirm it is set to Mode 1. Individual battery reads durning float as follows;

I am wondering if the set is from two different production runs? All batteries have K3 Z stamped on the positive posts. Thinking of trying to bring the lower readings up on 6v charger?
JMGreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-06-2014, 05:32 AM   #12
JMGreco
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Scrap that last thought, just remembered I am now 8v not 6v
Old 04-06-2014, 06:59 AM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGreco View Post
Johnnie,

Good morning, voltage after full charge and in float cycle this morning is 52.7. Checked voltage with different DVM and voltage is 52.7. Double checked DPI charger setting an confirm it is set to Mode 1. Individual battery reads durning float as follows;

I am wondering if the set is from two different production runs? All batteries have K3 Z stamped on the positive posts. Thinking of trying to bring the lower readings up on 6v charger?
I believe your batteries are not being fully charged. Of course, I might be wrong, but you have about a grand invested in the new batteries and charger, I suspect you want to find out for sure.

The six 8V batteries are being charged in series, so the charger only sees the sum of their voltages, which is 52.67V. The information I pried out of DPI a while back was that in Mode-1, a DPI Accusense 36V charger floats at 39.80V. A 36V pack has 18 2V cells, so that is a little over 2.21VPC and a 48V pack has 24 2V cells, so that works out to 53.07V.

The only hard numbers I have for Float charge are for 36V in Modes 1, 2 & 3
(Us Battery, Trojan & Exide) which are 39.80V, 39.40V & 39.60V respectively. However, using the same logic, the calculated Float voltage for my 42V Exide pack is 46.2V and my pack typically floats at 46.4V or 46.5V, so I'm fairly confident a 48V pack of US Battery batteries should float at 53.1V or a bit higher rather than 0.4V lower.

I do have hard numbers for the VPC (Volts per Cell) for the absorption phase in all four modes. For US Battery it is a minimum of 2.5VPC, or 60.0V for a 48V pack.

The charger is in the absorption phase when the Yellow LED is on steady and the Ammeter has dropped below the Max Amp rate.
What is your pack voltage after the Ammeter drops down to 5 to 8 amps?

Also, what is the pack voltage after the charger has been disconnected from the cart for about 12 hours?
(Should be at least 51.19V, probably a bit higher since they are new)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:48 PM   #14
JMGreco
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Tire rod end broke in the back yard this afternoon so done with cart today and on the charger.

Charging with charger at 5 amps I am at 63 volts.

I removed all feeds to the pack ( voltage reducer, on board digital volt meter, reed swith by-pass power) and only have the high voltage loop and charger leeds connected to the pack.

Will check voltage when in float stage with hand held DVM and will report back.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:16 PM   #15
JMGreco
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Now floating at 53.4, will continue to monitor.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:04 PM   #16
JMGreco
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Floating at 52.7
Old 04-06-2014, 03:11 PM   #17
Sumner121
Getting Wild
Club Car

I have a 94 club car and am only on day two of my 48 volt conversion which means my second charge. Love the difference! However with Trojan batteries and a DPI charger I am getting the same reading 52.8 after about 45 minutes of the green light being on. The DPI chargers are factory programmed to mode 2 right?
Sumner121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:18 PM   #18
JMGreco
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes, Mode 2 is for Trojan and it is the factory setting.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:14 PM   #19
720Deere
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sorry to hear about the tie rod, Joe. You must have been giving her a good workout! I got tied up building a retaining wall today so we couldn't make it over to check it out. Sounds like I didn't miss much after all.
720Deere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:46 PM   #20
JMGreco
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Matt - no worries. I am glad it happened at home instead of on one of extended road rides. Hope C&C has one in stock, should be a quick fix, then will use SportCoupe's alignment method. We have a full weekend next week but will let you know when things calm down.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO