lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-15-2014, 09:57 AM   #1
ddeblance
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Larger tires at higher speeds

Ok, I'm installed new batteries and upgraded the cables to 4ga. Now I've noticed with the extra boost in speed I have a lot of tire wobble. Not side to side, but up and down.
Should I expect this with these types of tires? Or can they be balanced?
I've ran them with low pressure, high pressure and on the money pressure and get about the same...

Since I'm only driving my cart on concrete, occasional sand or dirt, is there a more road specific tire?
ddeblance is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-15-2014, 10:02 AM   #2
jhnmflr
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Larger tires at higher speeds

Sometime making sure the wheels are centered on the hub will help. I just try and hold them with my legs and look to make sure the gap around hub and wheel is centered. Sometimes if you have the capability you can mount a few different tires to see which runs the straightest. I think it's just the nature of the beast though.
jhnmflr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:29 PM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Further, since the lug nuts are tapered, it's best to loosely hand tighten them before progressively tightening. Many folks just put one on the tighten it, and so on. The taper should get them nearly perfect, assuming nothings out of whack.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:36 PM   #4
mike777
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeblance View Post
Ok, I'm installed new batteries and upgraded the cables to 4ga. Now I've noticed with the extra boost in speed I have a lot of tire wobble. Not side to side, but up and down.
Should I expect this with these types of tires? Or can they be balanced?
I've ran them with low pressure, high pressure and on the money pressure and get about the same...

Since I'm only driving my cart on concrete, occasional sand or dirt, is there a more road specific tire?
what kind of tires, most like to bounce
mike777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:05 AM   #5
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Most cheap golf cart tires are from China. Quality control is non-existent. I have had tires so out of round that they would not be driven. Fortunately my dealer just shipped out a replacement "tire only". They didn't charge a thing and didn't want the defective tire back even. I did have to have them swapped on the rim though. Dealer said he replaces 1 out of every 50 sold.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:36 AM   #6
MuckSavage
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Put a lift on a friends precedent. He purchased 22" tires with a directional type street tread RHOX I think. Finished lift & tires, tom for test ride & it felt like one tire was out of round. Wife was watching & said you could see the R.R. Of the cart moving up & down. Rotated that tire to the front & the wobble moved. Told friend to take that tire back . He didn't. 2 months later, a bubble formed on the tread. The tire was soft at the bubble. 3 days later, the bubble was worn thru.
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:32 PM   #7
ddeblance
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

These are Moto X Trail 23X10.5-12NHS.
I bought the cart used and they were probably on the cart when the previous owner purchased it.

I'll check out the tires more this weekend. The don't physically look out of round and I haven't had them off the hub. I'll see if they are center.
The bounce only feels like its coming from the front and only at full throttle.
ddeblance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:08 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I had a similar problem when I first put on some Carlisle Turf-Master tires.
The rims are only 8" and nobody in the area seems to have the ability to balance anything that small, so I checked to see if they were out of round.

I jacked up the cart and turned the tires by hand and found the Left-Front was about 1/4" out and one of rear ones (don't remember which) about 1/8". I also check to see if the rims were round, they were.

Looking closer, I noticed the beads weren't fully seated all the way around on the out of round tires.

I put a generous amount of tire mounting lubricant (50/50 Dishwashing soap and water) on all the expose beads, inner and out side of tires, lowered cart to the ground and lowered the air pressure in the tires until the sidewall height at the bottom was only about 1/3 of what it was at the top. Then drove the cart a few yards and then re-inflated tires.

Now the cart rides smooth at all speeds. Net cost, a nasty look from SWMBO when I left greasy fingerprints on her bottle of Dishwashing liquid.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:43 PM   #9
Edarien
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

SWMBO. Took me a sec. That's funny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Edarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:49 PM   #10
jhnmflr
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
I had a similar problem when I first put on some Carlisle Turf-Master tires.
The rims are only 8" and nobody in the area seems to have the ability to balance anything that small, so I checked to see if they were out of round.

I jacked up the cart and turned the tires by hand and found the Left-Front was about 1/4" out and one of rear ones (don't remember which) about 1/8". I also check to see if the rims were round, they were.

Looking closer, I noticed the beads weren't fully seated all the way around on the out of round tires.

I put a generous amount of tire mounting lubricant (50/50 Dishwashing soap and water) on all the expose beads, inner and out side of tires, lowered cart to the ground and lowered the air pressure in the tires until the sidewall height at the bottom was only about 1/3 of what it was at the top. Then drove the cart a few yards and re-inflated tires.

Now the cart rides smooth at all speeds. Net cost, a nasty look from SWMBO when I left greasy fingerprints on her bottle of Dishwashing liquid.
Now that's smart and funny!!
jhnmflr is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO