lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-21-2014, 09:22 AM   #1
flharleycop
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Anyone use a Honda EU2000 to charge?

Do any of you use a Honda or Yamaha 2000 generator to charge their 36 or 48 carts? If so any issues? I was told the initial charge maybe too much draw but the numbers suggest it will work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
flharleycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-21-2014, 11:21 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Anyone use a Honda EU2000 to charge?

Check the input amps on the charger label.

Most chargers are designed to work on a typical 15A AC circuit and that is only 1800VA, so the 2000VA generator ought to be good to go.

FWIW, both my 36V and 42V DPI chargers are rated at 120VAC - 10A input, which is 1200VA.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:10 PM   #3
720Deere
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Just remember that the EU2000i is rated 2000w max but continuous output is only rated at 1600. From the numbers quoted above, you should still be fine.

When I first read your post, I thought maybe you were thinking about using the Honda 12v charging feature. If it is your intention to use the Honda's 12v output to charge individual 12v banks of the battery pack, you may as well forget about that. The 8 amp output would make for some really slow charging especially since you would have to charge multiple packs. The EU2000i will run a cart charger no problem, but I wouldn't want to sit around long enough for the 12v output to do the charging.
720Deere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:05 PM   #4
flharleycop
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you I was talking about the generator to power the battery charger for the golf cart like a wall outlet would do

Old 04-21-2014, 01:16 PM   #5
720Deere
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

In that case, my EU2000i provides more reliable power than the 15 amp circuit in my garage. It should power the cart charger on Eco-throttle and still run probably 7-8 hrs on a gallon of gas.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:28 PM   #6
flharleycop
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks now the age old question, Yamaha or Honda they both spec the same and about the same cost. The only thing I see is Yamaha has a fuel shut off and a fuel gauge. I think Honda has a larger dealer network JIC a problem ever arose.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:28 PM   #7
mymonstertruck
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have a 2000 watt Honeywell and it works great, I've had to use it before I invested in a digital volt meter lol. Actually 2x's
mymonstertruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:03 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I have no experience, but have heard from some folks that Hondas are quieter. Do they post specs on dB?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:28 PM   #9
720Deere
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I've had 2 of the Hondas for about 7 years now. I used them in parallel to power the 30 amp service on my former fifth wheel at Nascar races and such. The Yamaha 2000 and the Honda 2000 are rated the same with the Honda being slightly more quiet. According to the specs, the Yamaha will run longer on a gallon of gas under a light load and approximately the same at full load. My experience has been that the Honda will run longer at minimal loads than they rate it to. The rating is 9.5 hrs and I have run mine as long as 13 hrs on Eco-throttle with a light load on it. I can't speak for the Yamaha as it may perform better than rated as well.

I do know that based on feedback from Yamaha owners and having camped next to Yamaha inverter generators, I would put them equal to their red competitor. I don't think you can lose either way as they are both great. The only edge that Honda may have is resale value. I paid $869 for one of mine and $940 for the other 6.5 and 7 years ago respectively and I know I could sell either of them today for close to $800. People seem to go nuts over used Honda generators.

If you don't really intend to use the generator all that frequently and you would like to save some money, you want to consider Champion, Hyundai, Honeywell or Generac. They all make similar 2000w inverter generators that perform similar to the red and blue ones at just over half the price.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:39 PM   #10
flharleycop
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 720Deere View Post
I've had 2 of the Hondas for about 7 years now. I used them in parallel to power the 30 amp service on my former fifth wheel at Nascar races and such. The Yamaha 2000 and the Honda 2000 are rated the same with the Honda being slightly more quiet. According to the specs, the Yamaha will run longer on a gallon of gas under a light load and approximately the same at full load. My experience has been that the Honda will run longer at minimal loads than they rate it to. The rating is 9.5 hrs and I have run mine as long as 13 hrs on Eco-throttle with a light load on it. I can't speak for the Yamaha as it may perform better than rated as well.

I do know that based on feedback from Yamaha owners and having camped next to Yamaha inverter generators, I would put them equal to their red competitor. I don't think you can lose either way as they are both great. The only edge that Honda may have is resale value. I paid $869 for one of mine and $940 for the other 6.5 and 7 years ago respectively and I know I could sell either of them today for close to $800. People seem to go nuts over used Honda generators.

If you don't really intend to use the generator all that frequently and you would like to save some money, you want to consider Champion, Hyundai, Honeywell or Generac. They all make similar 2000w inverter generators that perform similar to the red and blue ones at just over half the price.
Thank you, my real concern is the noise level, I am getting a all electric camper also I know both units will power that. I know both the Y and H are very quiet, I need to look at the Hyundai I have seen that advertised and it is a good bit cheaper. They make good cars so I think they maybe worth checking into the generator also as long as it is a quiet the Honda or Yamaha.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO