lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-20-2014, 02:00 PM   #1
tman
Not Yet Wild

Default 96 txt series w kill switch won't run

I have a 96 txt 36v series that came with a recent real estate purchase. It has new batteries + new lift kit w 22x11x8 tires. Ran ok but wires were getting hot. I replaced the old cables to the solenoid and between the batteries with 6g. Also replaced solenoid with new one from local cart dealer. one of the big terminals was stripped and loose inside of the solenoid. There was no cover on the controller and f/r switches. Had been driven through mud puddles on tractor roads at farm. Dirty water and mud on cables and switches. I will the rest of the cables tonight. It has a toggle switch someone put on it. The key does not matter if on or off. With toggle switch on we drove it for several days after replacing solenoid. It just stopped while driving. Can hear small click from solenoid when turning on and louder click when turning off. Where should I start? Would like to do away with kill switch and just use key. i took the key switch out and checked it wit a test light and it worked. Also the tires where installed on factory rims and are rubbing slightly with some damage to them on inside. All 4! Don't want to spend a bunch on rims. Tires aren't damaged enough to toss as they are new looking. Can I just get some inexpensive 8 in rims with offset and have tires changed or is there an easier fix. I don't care much about looks. I put a used cargo box on it and just use it to get mail, drive to pond when fishing, and carry some tools around property to trim up things. It has a hitch and sometimes I pull a little wagon around to move dirt or downed limbs. Probably pulls ok but should I upgrade controller for pulling power to keep from harming motor. I don't need any more speed than what I've got.
tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-20-2014, 08:28 PM   #2
tman
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 96 txt series w kill switch won't run

I used 4g cables. All are replaced and running again. If I take the kill switch wires off, it won't run regardless of the key position. I guess the kill switch was put on as a jumper. The switch checks out ok. What is next in line to check? Also does anyone know of a fix for the tire problem other than finding some new wheels that have some offset?
tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:06 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Not sure I grasp the problem but > Get some fat washers and put 4 behind each wheel?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:08 PM   #4
branson
Not here yet

E-Z-GO

It sounds like someone has messed with the solenoid activation circuit. Check in the ezgo section stickies. The wiring diagram is there. Trace the solenoid activation circuit to see where the difference is. What is the voltage of the batteries 12 hours after the charger has stopped automatically. As far as the tires go some pictures will help but I think offset 8" wheels are pretty cheap. Fat washers are even cheaper I have done that before while waiting for bigger wheels to arrive

Last edited by branson; 05-20-2014 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: Scotty's just posted
branson is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO