lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2020, 03:27 PM   #1
Racerjoe56
Not Yet Wild

Default Sudden loss of power and where does this wire go?

New here today.
Cart lost most of its power all of a sudden, Was told to replace potentiometer and I did but that did not fix it so I learned quickly that I cant just buy parts with people guessing so I need your help.

From what I gather this is a 1992 EZGO 36 volt Marathon

Earlier this summer when we pulled this cart out it had 3 bad batteries and I replaced them, The cart ran great, I later noticed that the battery tray was almost rotted out so I brought it home and welded in all new angle.

I put everything back together and drove the cart around the block here at the house (several large hills) and it ran great. I pulled up in the yard at a decent sized hill (it has gone up it many times before) and it simply quit pulling, It would hold itself on the hill but would not go. I worked my way up to the driveway and that is where I am now.

Neighbor told me it was the potentiometer so I replaced it... no difference.

It will pull itself forward and back on level ground.. throttle must go a good ways down before it moves (1/3 to 1/2 throttle)... it cant pull even up the slightest hill now.

Wanted to know the first place I should look based on my description..?

Note: I am not very good with wiring so take that into consideration when responding. :)

I plan to go back and clean all connections (they are tight - I just put all the batteries in and have re-snugged them twice.

Also when looking at the wiring I noticed this wire that isn't connected to anything... It looks like it would be a jumper of some sort (it is a rigid wire)?? See circled in red in pic. Could that be a capacitor or something that is broken and gone or burned up?

Thanks for any advice!! Very much appreciated!

Thanks
Les
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ezgo plate.jpg (119.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg controller wire.jpg (121.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg controller wire 2.jpg (116.0 KB, 0 views)
Racerjoe56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 04:25 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Sudden loss of power and where does this wire go?

It used to be a MOV, but it either crumbled away or blew up. Cart will do just fine without it.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 05:00 PM   #3
Racerjoe56
Not Yet Wild

Thank you … so that rules that part out...
Old 07-07-2020, 08:09 PM   #4
coosa
Gone Wild

>>>Earlier this summer when we pulled this cart out it had 3 bad batteries and I replaced them<<<

It sounds like you replaced 3 batteries and kept the other 3 in use? I've always replaced the entire pack at the same time. If 3 were bad, the other 3 were probably about done too. I would start by checking the old batteries. Good luck getting it going again!
coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 10:49 PM   #5
Racerjoe56
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosa View Post
>>>Earlier this summer when we pulled this cart out it had 3 bad batteries and I replaced them<<<

It sounds like you replaced 3 batteries and kept the other 3 in use? I've always replaced the entire pack at the same time. If 3 were bad, the other 3 were probably about done too. I would start by checking the old batteries. Good luck getting it going again!
Yes I keep thinking the batteries since it runs good But has just very very little pulling power at all but the battery test readings seem “ok” I think. The batteries were between 2 - 3 years old. They were mistreated when we left the cart sitting (without a charger) for 6 - 8 months while we were staying at the hospital with mom on a ventilator and then rehab then at my house.... once we finally got back to the lake and got the cart out... it ran around a little bit then started jerking after a little bit of driving....I tested them all (I don’t remember the numbers but 3 were noticeably worse so they got replaced.... it ran great)... can you take a look at the numbers from testing the batteries From the past 2 days that I posted below and let me know your thoughts?

Thank you for your thoughts and input!!
Old 07-08-2020, 01:25 AM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Yep, mixing new & old batteries is flushing battery $ down the toilet.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 05:20 PM   #7
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Yea, test each battery under load and the bad ones will show up. Best to replace all at once (even if some "seem" OK). They are like kids, the bad ones will turn the good ones bad :).

Sounds like battery capacity problem, I bet it clears up when you replace those bad 3. Also good time to evaluate your cables, they don't last forever either.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 11:01 PM   #8
Racerjoe56
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Yep, mixing new & old batteries is flushing battery $ down the toilet.
Yep... I think I am figuring that out... when I put batteries in it a couple of years ago I was able to do that and bought 6 new ones... earlier this year when those 3 went out honestly I just didn’t have enough money to buy all 6... (last year I went on disability and my wife was laid off.. income is about 1/5 of what it was.... just flat out didn’t have it)... we just need it to get around as I can’t walk up the hill anymore and it seemed to work and ran great until we left it for a long time without charging them.... I’m also learning that no matter what I need to carve out time to get to the lake and charge them at least once a month without fail !

Live and learn (I’m learning now... haha)

Thanks for your thoughts and input... they are appreciated. Please take a look at the numbers I posted on battery tests and tell me what you think... thank you
Old 07-21-2020, 03:23 PM   #9
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Those battery numbers don't seem that bad to me. Someone else with more expertise may disagree. I would charge them for 12-15 hours, let rest for 24 hours, then charge again for 12 hours and see if that helps them. Did you clean all the cables/connections and look hard and the cables themselves see any corrosion underneath the plastic)? After you run it a while, does anything feel hot? That may point you in the right direction.
Old 07-21-2020, 03:35 PM   #10
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

I recently had a problem with my txt cutting out sporatically. It would do fine, then it would just stop, no power...I would move the F/R switch back, rock the cart back and forth, then it would regain power. I check/cleaned all my battery connections,
Then followed everything back to the controller, checking/cleaning and found a nut that was just a little loose. I mean that it was on, but when I tightened it, it went maybe an 1/8 to 1/4 turn. Not at all what I would call loose, but I haven't had the problem again.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO