lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-15-2015, 11:04 AM   #1
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Default Got oil showing up in the air box of your lifted cart?

If you are seeing oil appear in the air box on the 295 and 350cc engines, it is highly likely that your oil is overfilled. If your cart is lifted, then the angle of the engine changes to such a degree that the oil level indicated as "FULL" on the dipstick will be wrong. This often presents itself as oil in the air box because the crankcase breather, at that angle, is slightly below the oil level. The oil is pushed up through the hose into the air box.

You must drain the oil and then refill it with exactly 1.5 quarts. This amount keeps the oil at a proper level for the engine to lubricate itself and keeps it below the case breather. Once you do that, scribe a mark on the dipstick and treat that as the new "FULL" mark. This only applies to a lifted cart.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-15-2015, 02:05 PM   #2
guyboy1970
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Got oil showing up in the air box of your lifted cart?

SCCOWBOY is EXACTLY right!!!!!!!! I changed my oil and forgot this very important note. After i drove it around the yard and started smoking like it was on fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Back to the shop, air box full of oil. Drained oil again and refilled with exactly 1.5 quarts of oil and all was good with the world. And don't forget to scribe your "new" full line on your dipstick!
guyboy1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 02:42 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If you still get oil in the airbox after correcting the oil level on level ground.... maybe due to rough riding on steeper terrain, you can insert some nylon filter material in the breather tube to stop the fluids while allowing the vapors to pass

The material we used had the consistency of a loosened up Brillo pad.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:05 PM   #4
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

I figured I would throw this out there since it comes up from time to time.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:01 AM   #5
Garnerz
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Very helpful , thanks brother. Correct dipstick height noted**
Garnerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:55 PM   #6
olevet
Not Yet Wild

Just what I needed to know
Just changes oil in mine and thought i had blown it up
Thanks
olevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:05 PM   #7
dkrk2006
Not Yet Wild

I have a 2004 Ezgo TXT - not sure of which engine. When I started it up after several moments there is oil & gas coming out of the PCV pipe from the crank case. I get the part about only having 1.5 quarts of oil but why is there gas also coming out? It is a 4 stroke engine. This is a friends cart and I just picked it up for her and am trying to get it back up and running. Both cylinders have compression of 180 and it has great spark. Newer spark plugs, carb was cleaned with a new battery. Any help would be appreciated.
dkrk2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:28 PM   #8
big mule
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrk2006 View Post
I have a 2004 Ezgo TXT - not sure of which engine. When I started it up after several moments there is oil & gas coming out of the PCV pipe from the crank case. I get the part about only having 1.5 quarts of oil but why is there gas also coming out? It is a 4 stroke engine. This is a friends cart and I just picked it up for her and am trying to get it back up and running. Both cylinders have compression of 180 and it has great spark. Newer spark plugs, carb was cleaned with a new battery. Any help would be appreciated.

Maybe a bad fuel pump diaphragm(?).
big mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 12:52 AM   #9
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrk2006 View Post
after several moments there is oil & gas coming out of the PCV pipe from the crank case. .
My guess is that the float needle valve is not closing off allowing fuel to seep into the engine.

You need to inspect and test the needle valve.

Either that or as already suggested, the pump is leaking internally and allowing fuel to run down the vacuum line.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:54 AM   #10
dkrk2006
Not Yet Wild

Thumbs up Re: Got oil showing up in the air box of your lifted cart?

Thanks, I followed the info on the lifted carts - drained the oil and refilled with 1.5 quarts of oil and it stopped spitting oil out of the PCV pipe into the air box. The cart is running but will backfire slightly and seems like it does not have the power it should. Could not take for a test driver last night but will get it out tonight when I get home. Hopefully it will be good and just need a little driving to clear out all the gas & oil in the muffler.
dkrk2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO