lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-08-2017, 09:00 PM   #1
Jmax207
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Best testing practices for testing charging on a G2

1990 G2 back up and running after 3 years in the garage.

I bought it with a bad S/G ( or so I was told ) and always used a charger to keep it alive. A few years back it wouldn't start at all, would fire up but wouldn't turn over.

I just replaced the S/G and Ignition Coil and got it back up and running. I have run the cart approx. 20 mins with no real issues.

A few facts that my or may not be relevant:

1. The battery was new and after the limited use is currently testing at 12.42 volts with the key off.

2. I put the meter on the contacts on the S/G that connect the + and - from the battery and tested nothing when off and went to 12V when engine spun up in Neutral.

I have a few questions about testing the new setup to make sure it working correctly.

1. If I rev the engine in Neutral, should the S/G be putting out a charge? Or do I have to jack up the back and actually run it in Drive to test for voltage on the battery?

2. If I need to test the Voltage Regulator, which wires would I put the meter on and what would i be looking for?

3. There is a black ground running to the frame from the bottom connection on the S/G that the - wire from the battery is connected to. Should that be there?

Thanks for any advice.
Jmax207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-08-2017, 09:26 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Best testing practices for testing charging on a G2

Super easy test- if you have headlights.

Point cart at wall.
Run engine.
Turn on headlights.
Release gas pedal to stop engine.

Did lights dim slightly when pedal was released?
If so, it IS charging.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:57 AM   #3
Lochlin
Gone Wild

If the engine is running the S/G should be putting out a charge regardless of neutral or being driven.

I have always just taken the belt off the cart (or jack the back wheels up off the ground) and run the motor about 1/2 speed. Put your volt meter directly on the battery terminals. You should be seeing 14v or so there so your battery is charging. If you are anything less than 13v then you aren't charging enough. The battery will revert back to your 12v reading at rest.

Not sure what kind of voltage regulator you have so I am not sure whether or not it can be tested.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:02 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Right just test the battery it will be 12.5 or less at rest for a good battery. It will be 13.5 roughly running, however the gen will not charge much at idle so if battery is low it will not show until it revs up some. In cold or low battery it will go up to 14v at higher rpm, or mine will. It has the solid state its a G9.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha