lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-09-2020, 07:49 AM   #1
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Took the RoyPow plunge

I was initially going to hold out for the 160Ah RoyPow pack, but then saw how large it was and decided the 105Ah should easily meet my needs.

I received it on Friday and installed it on Sunday - it took about an hour to install everything except for the SOC meter. I still want to reroute some of my wiring to clean up the battery compartment, but I love how much additional storage space there is now.

I didn't do any real testing, but the acceleration is definitely snappier and going uphill is quite a bit faster. Everything I received (pack, charger, mounting bracket, etc) appears to be well made. So far, I'm very happy with it - I just hope it lasts for many, many years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RoyPow_BA.jpg (889.7 KB, 0 views)
jonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-09-2020, 09:06 AM   #2
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: Took the RoyPow plunge

Congratulations! Did you get from local dealer or have it shipped to you? I'm leaning towards one of those myself. How much was your total cost? How long did it take to get? Let us know of any pros/cons versus the FLA Trojans.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:09 AM   #3
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

I have been to all my local cart shops and not one has heard of these...they point me to the individual Lithium batteries. I want this pack to reduce weight as much as the other benefits. Also, I'm a little scared of doing the install myself. I have an 2009 Stealth Patriot and not much info out there on them.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:37 AM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I looked at their specs. Not very good. Max discharge current is listed as only 115 amps! That is not much at all (1C) for a 105AH battery.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 01:51 PM   #5
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Brad View Post
Congratulations! Did you get from local dealer or have it shipped to you? I'm leaning towards one of those myself. How much was your total cost? How long did it take to get? Let us know of any pros/cons versus the FLA Trojans.
There were no dealers near me, so I bought it from Lanier Carts in Oakwood, GA. FedEx was going to charge about $450 to ship it to me, but he had one of his employees drive 225 miles each way to hand deliver it to me for a lot less $$$. Plus, he had just gotten his delivery, so I was able to get my pack the next day.
Old 03-09-2020, 01:57 PM   #6
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Brad View Post
I have been to all my local cart shops and not one has heard of these...they point me to the individual Lithium batteries. I want this pack to reduce weight as much as the other benefits. Also, I'm a little scared of doing the install myself. I have an 2009 Stealth Patriot and not much info out there on them.
I was really close to ordering the Allied lithium batteries, but then I saw a thread about the RoyPows. I've read a few negative reviews regarding the Allieds, but nothing but rave reviews for the RoyPows. A while ago, RoyPow had some issues with the connecting posts, but they have been redesigned and is no longer a problem.

Installation was super easy - which is good because there really were no instructions. I mounted the mounting bracket to the battery tray using their supplied hardware, mounted the battery to the bracket with their supplied hardware, plugged in the SOC meter (there is only one place to plug it in), hooked the negative wire to the negative post, the positive wire to the positive post, and done!
Old 03-09-2020, 02:07 PM   #7
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
I looked at their specs. Not very good. Max discharge current is listed as only 115 amps! That is not much at all (1C) for a 105AH battery.
I believe that 115A is for sustained max discharge - a period of 10 seconds or more. From what I've read, shorter bursts of 500A+ are possible. So far, I have had no problems running 34 mph on flat ground or climbing mild hills. And, I've gained about 4 mph on the hills - probably due to the cart being 315 lbs. lighter.
Old 03-09-2020, 04:31 PM   #8
Nolagt
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonr3 View Post
I was initially going to hold out for the 160Ah RoyPow pack, but then saw how large it was and decided the 105Ah should easily meet my needs.
How much bigger is the 160...did you see it in person or next to the 105?
Nolagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 04:35 PM   #9
fstop
Gone Wild

The pack should have no issue with discharge rates that most carts here are requiring - of course I'm sure there are exceptions out there with 26" tires and / or hilly terrain, pulling trailers, limo carts always loaded with people coupled with rapid acceleration etc...

See the cell technical specs here:
http://www.dcmax.com.tw/LF105(3.2V105Ah).pdf

30 second discharge rates from that document are in the attached chart.

BMS would also be subject to any possible continued high current conditions - long term reliability unknown at this point. I've seen no issues reported, with some tests hitting pretty hard on the amp draw, but there is no long-term data at this point.

It's safe to say that no matter what battery you use, it is easier on the pack and everything else in the circuit to draw less current -vs- more whenever possible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roypow 105 discharge.jpg (87.9 KB, 0 views)
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:21 PM   #10
davidgolfer
Gone Wild

Awesome. I’m still waiting but really about to give up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
davidgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car