lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-19-2020, 09:42 PM   #1
hiperf2007
Not Yet Wild

Default Help - father passed away. Working on his cart.

1987 ezgo gas cart.
Pulled out of storage after he passed in 2015. The cart ran ok last year but now it seems to surge. Low speed it's ok. 5mph guessing. Full throttling it runs good. It just seems between 20-60 percent throttle it started jerking. I'm guessing it's one of the clutches or possible belt. My dad never really maintained much. He always laughed when I suggested changing the spark plug or air filter. I would normally sneak and just do it when he wasn't around. Just wondering where to start. The belt has a small lip on both sides so I was thinking about starting there. I don't care about money. I just want it running smooth. Engine wise for a 33 year old cart it starts and runs great. This symptom just developed.
Thanks in advanced.
hiperf2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-20-2020, 04:04 AM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Help - father passed away. Working on his cart.

Measure how wide the belt is. 1 3/16" is new. Anything less than an inch is junk.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:11 AM   #3
hiperf2007
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
Measure how wide the belt is. 1 3/16" is new. Anything less than an inch is junk.
I just walked out a few moments ago because I had the seat off and its going to start raining and happened to mic it. I see about 1.11-1.13". My dad always liked keeping money in his pocket until things would just down right not start or move under its own power.
Thanks for the input.
Is there any cleaning or adjustment? I know on the sleds back in the day we would pull the belt and use soap and water to clean them up along with the clutches.
They would get such a glaze on them and would slip. Huge HP difference though.
Old 06-20-2020, 09:26 AM   #4
hiperf2007
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
I should also mention I had the carb off this spring because I couldn't get it to run. The needle was sticking and then once I got it running with external fuel I found the fuel pump was bad. New fuel pump and few premium gas and it was back up to running. I don't believe the problem is related but I have been reading about carb/cable adjustments. I put all the cables back to the original positions and never adjusted the carb screws any. It was running for months after that. Starts fine. Just seems like jumping or slipping somewhere to keep the hold on the speed and weight its trying to pull.
Old 06-20-2020, 10:40 AM   #5
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Look at posts 51, and 52 in this thread. https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...80#post1730380

That's my carburetor. The spring slid over the cable prevents backfiring, and also provides a smooth throttle response.

Remove the belt from the driven clutch.
Grab the top of the driven clutch with one hand. Try squeezing the plates together at the top. If you can make them lean towards each other, that is an indication of a worn clutch.

I have cleaned, and lubed my clutch with a graphite, or Molylube. No oil, or grease.

You don't need premium gas. It has a higher ethanol content, and less BTUs. Stick with 87 octane.

I use this 85 manual for my 87.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 85-EZGO(2) (1).pdf (6.71 MB, 0 views)
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 12:33 PM   #6
hiperf2007
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Look at posts 51, and 52 in this thread. https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...80#post1730380

That's my carburetor. The spring slid over the cable prevents backfiring, and also provides a smooth throttle response.

Grab the top of the driven clutch with one hand. Try squeezing the plates together at the top. If you can make them lean towards each other, that is an indication of a worn clutch.

I have cleaned, and lubed my clutch with a graphite, or Molylube. No oil, or grease.

You don't need premium gas. It has a higher ethanol content, and less BTUs. Stick with 87 octane.

I will take a look. I appreciate it.
Old 06-20-2020, 12:37 PM   #7
hiperf2007
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperf2007 View Post
I will take a look. I appreciate it.
I have noticed in the passed there is a spring in that spot. Is there anything more I need to look at other than it having a spring installed?
Old 06-20-2020, 03:57 PM   #8
hiperf2007
Not Yet Wild

Quote:

I see now. That second picture wouldn't load this morning. I see there is a second spring to act as a floater for the carburetor control arm. I just came in from spraying all the pivot points and cables. I also checked the cable functions for the governor and throttle. I will have to see if I have any type of spring like that to add to the back side of the cable.
Old 06-21-2020, 11:36 AM   #9
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

I don't mean to butt in here as CA is the expert. Butt lol, Governor cable? Most all of us remove the Gov, it will bring that baby to life. Also, as CA is about to tell you the spring out of a pen works well over the end of the throttle cable.
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 06:19 PM   #10
hiperf2007
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabble Inn View Post
I don't mean to butt in here as CA is the expert. Butt lol, Governor cable? Most all of us remove the Gov, it will bring that baby to life. Also, as CA is about to tell you the spring out of a pen works well over the end of the throttle cable.
Well I tried adjusting that enough where it would be far enough out not to apply but I think he is correct with the extra spring. I noticed the driver including myself is floating the throttle. I am looking for a spring to use now. Makes perfect sense.
Going to change the belt anyways though. I must need to remove the govenor housing on the clutch? Not sure how you could get it off without taking the 3 bolts out and making clearance.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO