lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-30-2020, 11:24 AM   #1
dbwell00
Not Yet Wild

Default 88 Marathon 2 Stroke - Driven Clutch?

Hi all

I have had my 88 2-stroke for several years now, and it appears things are still mostly running right but the top speed behavior is different. It has 22" tires and lift, governor and injection removed.

I just changed motor mounts which is going to help a lot (they were shot and the engine was pulling in toward the clutch... but now is very solid and much improved) so am now able to look into this issue a little harder.

The top speed is slower than it used to be. Used to be able to top 20 mph, now around 11-12, motor screaming and hot.

Driven clutch cover is not in place... if I spray the crap out of the spring and ramps with PB blaster pretty soon it frees up and tops out at 22 mph, engine speed moderates, seems normal. In a little while it will be back to 11-12 motor screaming again.

Does this mean I need a driven clutch? Should I disassemble this one and clean or replace parts?

Engine seems to run very well still... it does seem very hot after screaming around like that which has me worried a little. I have a IR thermometer--what are the temps supposed to be on the exhaust? Seems if I shoot most places around the engine once it's hot it's around 200-225 maybe, exhaust pipe more like 600 and right at the muffler entry 700+
dbwell00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-30-2020, 05:15 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 88 Marathon 2 Stroke - Driven Clutch?

Remove the belt. Try squeezing the plates together with one hand. If they lean towards each other, the shaft is worn out. That makes it impossible to grab the belt properly.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:52 PM   #3
dbwell00
Not Yet Wild

The front plate rocks a little. Amounts to just over a 1/16 inch of play (holding up a steel rule and eyeballing) at the edge of the plate.

Bad news?
Old 06-30-2020, 06:35 PM   #4
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

That's enough for the belt to slip

How wide is your belt?
Old 06-30-2020, 07:06 PM   #5
dbwell00
Not Yet Wild

Fair enough, it's ordered Hope I can get the old one knocked off lol
Old 06-30-2020, 07:55 PM   #6
dbwell00
Not Yet Wild

Sorry I missed the question, I did check the belt and it's close to the stock width of 1 3/16, between 1 1/8 and 1 3/16.

But I have never replaced it since I've had it, seems to be correct for the cart 45" (Gates 6314) though. (I think the EZGO number says it's a 45.5" belt).
Old 06-30-2020, 08:00 PM   #7
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I'd say that belt is still good.

I messed with my clutch a lot before buying a new one. There was a world of difference in performance. I never realized how lousy the old one was.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:05 PM   #8
dbwell00
Not Yet Wild

Hey cartaround (and others also weigh in please) :)

The clutch should be here Friday... I went and popped the old one off today because of a few horror stories about stuck ones requiring multi-day soak in PB. It popped off with relative ease after several firm taps with a hammer through piece of oak flooring aimed at the center ring around the back of the pumpkin in a couple of spots. There is a little old grease around the shaft, doesn't look like any bad active leak or anything and I haven't seen any evidence of that prior to this.

Couple of questions for re-assembly:

1. I'm thinking anti-sieze for the shaft and red locktite for the bolt? (That's what the manual seems to suggest)
2. 20 ft lbs only (again, the manual)?
3. I'm thinking it was much more than 20 ft lbs because the washer is concave inward. Maybe it's made like that? put it back same way, pick up a hard washer, or try flattening?

The bolt looks really good, came out easy with an impact but was a little tight the whole way out. Should go back in ok I think.

I did buy a belt, it is probably good for it (takes off better and a little harder to get off than the old tired one) but it did nothing really for the original concern.

Hoping for a win
Old 07-09-2020, 09:00 AM   #9
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

I wouldn't red locktite that bolt, you might need to remove it someday easily. Blue locktite should be plenty, anti-seize on the spline shaft should be fine.
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:54 AM   #10
dbwell00
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabble Inn View Post
I wouldn't red locktite that bolt, you might need to remove it someday easily. Blue locktite should be plenty, anti-seize on the spline shaft should be fine.
Yep I was pretty much settled there too. Manual says Loctite 262, which I think is red... and it would be hard to get heat in there to get the bolt out so I was wondering why in the world they would spec it like that

Blue it is. I'm going to add a lock washer too. We'll know tomorrow if it gets here on time
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO