lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2020, 02:31 PM   #1
scooby622
Not Yet Wild

Default 1985 ezgo sputters out

I have a 1985 ezgo. While I'm driving it will often slow down to a sputter or will not go after a stop. I have to pull the choke to get it going. What can I do to fix it. Also smells pretty gassy while driving. Every once in a while it will backfire too. I don't know if these are all related or not but any help would be greatly appreciated
scooby622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-07-2020, 12:35 PM   #2
NYOZ
Getting Wild

Default Re: 1985 ezgo sputters out

I would pull the carb and clean it good. Make sure you adjust the float properly. Sounds like it's flooding out..
NYOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 07:33 PM   #3
scooby622
Not Yet Wild

It is a new carb. I just put it in. How do you go about adjusting that
scooby622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 08:58 AM   #4
newtjl
Gone Wild

If that new carburetor cost approximately $20, it could be a problem. Those have about a 25% failure rate. They are Chinese imports and arent exactly precision machined. The needle may not be seating, causing a flooding condition. I suggest cleaning the OEM carburetor really well if you still have it. If not, you can try to tinker with the Chinese carb or roll the dice on another. Your carb has a vent. It may or may not have a tube attached to it. If you have gas coming out of that as you operate the engine, the needle valve is not likely seating as it should. If the engine is flooding, the valve may not be seating or the carb may be set to super rich (which is common with the Chinese carbs).
To check the needle valve, do this:
1. Remove carb
2. Remove bowl on carb
3. Turn the carb upside down and see if the float seats level. If it does not, adjust it to make it so. The float is supposed to float when the bowl fills with fuel and close the needle valve. Thats cuts fuel to the carb.
4. If you hold the float closed, you should not be able to blow air into the carb through the fuel inlet. If you can, the needle valve isnt cutting off fuel, just replace the carb. You should be able to blow air in if the float is hanging open.

If your float and needle valve check out good you may ensure the carburetor isnt set to run too rich. The most common problem I have seen on the carbs is the pilot screw is set too rich. I have seen one instance in which the pilot screw was so loose that it fell out when I put a screw driver on it. The pilot screw is a horizontal screw on the side of the carb. I run it all the way down to a soft seat, then back it out 1 1/2 turns as a baseline and adjust from there. It has a nut on it to keep it in place once you have it set. This screw determines how rich your mixture is at start up and low speeds.

Please let us know what you find out.
newtjl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
choke, gas, smell, stall, stops moving
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO