lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-08-2020, 08:05 AM   #1
rulowenough03
Not Yet Wild

Default 2pg Marathon throttle return spring.. Need some help

Can someone tell me how the throttle return spring is oriented on a 2pg? i took the carb off to clean it and noticed that the spring was not attached. Also, what does the spring that is attached to the actual throttle cable do? thanks

by the way its a 1989 i think. the serial plate is missing.
rulowenough03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-08-2020, 08:22 AM   #2
newtjl
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2pg Marathon throttle return spring.. Need some help

The default is open on the throttle so attach the return spring in such a way to hold the throttle open. The throttle cable closes the throttle. The spring on the throttle cable assists in pulling the throttle closed when you let of the gas. It prevents backfires.
newtjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 08:24 AM   #3
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

The spring that wraps around the throttle shaft should open the throttle plate. With no cable connected, the throttle should snap open. The spring on the end of the cable holds the throttle closed until the pedal switch closes and provides power to the ignition. That spring prevents backfiring, and provides a smooth throttle response.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:31 AM   #4
rulowenough03
Not Yet Wild

Should there be a stop nut on both sides of the throttle cable where it goes through the bracket? As it is now my cable has a stop nut, followed by a spring. this goes through the hole in the bracket but there is no nut on the carb side of the bracket. The cable just moves around in the hole
Old 07-08-2020, 09:34 AM   #5
rulowenough03
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulowenough03 View Post
Should there be a stop nut on both sides of the throttle cable where it goes through the bracket? As it is now my cable has a stop nut, followed by a spring. this goes through the hole in the bracket but there is no nut on the carb side of the bracket. The cable just moves around in the hole
i'll see if i can upload a pic
Old 07-08-2020, 09:59 AM   #6
newtjl
Gone Wild

Yes the cable should slide easily through the hole in the throttle bracket. The cable is not pushing the throttle open, but simply releasing it, allowing it to open. So one nut on the end of the cable is all you need.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:03 AM   #7
newtjl
Gone Wild

Some pictures that Cart Around recently posted showing the correct throttle cable spring arrangement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200604_190514.jpg (268.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200604_190538.jpg (266.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-08-2020, 10:37 AM   #8
rulowenough03
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtjl View Post
Yes the cable should slide easily through the hole in the throttle bracket. The cable is not pushing the throttle open, but simply releasing it, allowing it to open. So one nut on the end of the cable is all you need.
thanks for the reply. mine does not look like the one in the pics you posted. my spring is on the fnr switch side of the bracket.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:37 AM   #9
rulowenough03
Not Yet Wild

https://ibb.co/kXpvRTg
Old 07-08-2020, 11:19 AM   #10
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Here's a pic of an 88 I worked on, I'm thinking it's the same set-up you have. There is only one set nut and it's on the FnR side of the bracket with a factory anti-backfire spring between the nut and bracket, if you have no spring on the throttle lever itself then I would put a cable stop on both sides of the lever (fairly snug against the lever on each side). One to push it open and one to pull it closed, then adjust the cable set nut with pre-loading the spring so as the nut is about a half inch from the mounting bracket when not touching the gas pedal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2020-05-28_13.20.01.jpg (209.5 KB, 0 views)
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO