lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-09-2020, 03:47 PM   #1
Scottnadeau
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Won’t start - no spark?

Hi all. I think my new to me cart is an ez-go. I’m attaching pics so you can tell me if that’s correct.

When I bought my cart it ran fine. I brought it home in the bed of my truck- 2hr drive. I backed it 400ft up my driveway, put it in forward and drove 200ft before it stalled. I’ve been unable to start it since. I put an inductive spark indicator on it and it showed no spark. I’ve messed around with the key - upside down and right side up without it starting. It turns over fine. I’ve checked the grounds I can see easily and pulled on them - all tight. I’ve added pre mixed gas to make it full.

What is my cart? What should I do next?
Scottnadeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-09-2020, 06:06 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Won’t start - no spark?

It's a 1980s 2 stroke Marathon. The engine is a model known as the 2PG. You should be mixing your gas at 128:1. That's 1 ounce of oil per gallon of gas.

Your pictures are too small for me to see any more details on the engine.

This pdf manual should get you going on more information, but I would start with cleaning the plug.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 85-EZGO(2) (1).pdf (6.71 MB, 0 views)
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:45 AM   #3
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

I enlarged the pic best I could but it got blurry, got some crazy back tires on there though lol....

I was able to see the oil injection Banjo fitting is still on the manifold, Didn't look like the oil pump was still there or the oil tank. Wonder where that oil line goes? If it's just dangling to nothing that would be bad, since you're mixing the gas/oil (good idea) you'll need to remove that Banjo fitting and plug the hole with a 6mm bolt. Could be sucking air resulting in a lean fuel/air condition.....

Also, to help ID it look for a plate on the passenger side footwell as shown in the pic, if nothing there then look under the starter/gen for an engine plate as shown
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190528_093311.jpg (248.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpeg 20170713_102157 (2).jpeg (75.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 34.jpg (237.6 KB, 0 views)
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:09 AM   #4
Scottnadeau
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you both. Is there a trick for uploading bigger pics? I posted them in the small format so they would actually post up.

It’s a Robin engine as one of your pics showed. I’ll try to find a new plug for it today, I’ll see what’s up with the oil line(and plug the hole)
Old 07-12-2020, 07:35 AM   #5
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

On the engine ID tag check the 'Motor No.' The first two digits should be the year. Example; mine is an '85'. If I had to guess I'd say yours is an earlier 80's, I know I'm not helping on the spark issue yet but it's always good to know what ya have.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:22 PM   #6
Scottnadeau
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I’m trying to have my GF take pics of the tag and the spark plug. Do they all take the same one? And what is it please?

The engine is a Robin- I know that much
Old 07-12-2020, 12:25 PM   #7
Scottnadeau
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The guy I bought it from just rebuilt the top end - he was running 32:1 oil mix. So maybe it’s drowning in oil...
Old 07-13-2020, 09:47 AM   #8
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

32:1 is a bit rich and could have fouled out the plug, on a fresh rebuild it should've been 40:1. That's not much difference and it's a good thing it's just for the first tank, I'd say if it's getting close to empty I'd go to the 128:1 now.....

128:1 is 1oz oil to 1 gallon gas, and that's 'regular' gas NOT premium. 85 or maybe 87 octane IF ya have to but no higher, a lot of peeps make this mistake. It won't clean the system or run better or faster on premium, in fact it will probably run worse.......

Here's where I really get anal lol, but I always pre-mix mine in a 5 gallon can starting with exactly 5 gallons gas from the pump. Then add the oil using a glass kitchen measuring cup with exactly 5oz oil in it, I then shake, twirl, swirl, agitate, kick, slap, beat it up, roll it around the yard like a maniac to be sure it's fully mixed . Pour it in the buggy, if it all won't fit no biggy. Finish it off as you go....

Spark plug I use is NGK BP5 in my '85', some specs list a 4 and/or 5. But keep in mind a 4 is a hotter plug than a 5.... Good Luck
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO