lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-10-2020, 01:44 PM   #1
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Opinions on what to do with TXT

Hello folks. I have a 99 TXT, plane jane, with a back seat and short cover. Tires are good, body is good, no cracks or major issues. Would be easy to clean up and paint. Frame is in excellent condition, no rust. Rolls around fine, Rear end and shifter seem to work, brakes work, turns over fine, but one rod is broken in the original 295. Here is the canvas!
Golf Cart.jpg
The options:
#1: Buy a Motors and More 295 or 325 rebuilt and shipped with return of core for cost of $720/$800 and sell the thing with some profit on the back end. I am into it $600 so far, and as I see it, it only needs the motor. Self rebuild is possible and less expensive, but I don't know if the crank is shot too, and if it is, the home rebuild exceeds the cost of the purchased rebuild.

#2: Buy the M&M 325, add 6" A arm lift, 23's and clean it up, drive it as is.

#3: Go all in, and install a Big block kit with VC components for easy install, paint, lift, tires/wheels, disks, seats, stereo? If big block which one? From a performance perspective, after looking through a ton of posts on here and elsewhere, I am seeing very acceptable numbers for the 420 singles (40+ mph). Any downsides, and are there real benefits from going with the 625/670 twin? Seems like a lot of extra cost with not a lot of bang for the buck. Obviously, any of these kits will require additional work to get RPM's up. How does that affect reliability of the engines?

Lawn mower loud is acceptable, race car loud would p*** off the neighbors. Since I am the president of the HOA, no need in that. I would probably make a best attempt at muffling some with low tone muffler(s) to knock it down a bit.
Are the BB engines and kits more of a hassle than they are worth? I'm a fix it kinda guy, but I don't want to be fixing it every weekend. I want to get on, fire it up, and head to the lake or neighbor's for drinks, so reliable is ideal.
I do have a need for speed...I have a Yamaha R1, a couple corvettes (older coupe and a newer Z06), supercharged jetski, twin turbo truck, and a boat already, so it doesn't have to be fast...but faster is better. If I go option #3, is it just a money bit? Don't want to go down a road and regret it later. Just looking for opinions from others that went in any of these directions, and did you have buyers remorse, wish you did something else, or was it the best decision and you are happy with it? Let me know.
Thanks.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-11-2020, 10:52 AM   #2
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Opinions on what to do with TXT

Are any of you using a foot pedal start for either the VC 625, or the HF 670 with the VC install kit?
Old 07-20-2020, 06:08 PM   #3
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hmmm, no replies at all? Anyone have any experience with the 670 twin? Can it be set up with pedal start using the OEM S/G? I'm thinking the twin, with high speed gears, pedal start, Jake's long travel lift and front disc brakes. Nobody has any words of wisdom to share? Please?
Old 07-20-2020, 06:44 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

the 460 can be set up as pedal start. the 670 is key start only and idles as far as i am aware.

I have had both. stock motor carts, and clone swapped carts. I personally prefer a good running stock motor. The swapped carts have considerably more torque, but I've personally never run into an instance where I really needed more power than the stock motor could produce. Plus, the cart is worth a lot more with a stock engine than with a swap if you decide to sell it down the road. It takes a "special breed" looking for a golf cart with a loud swapped motor. Most people wanting to buy golf carts need/want/prefer a stock cart that just runs and drives around like a golf cart should.

Broken rod is no big deal, and being that you have a 1999 it's a pre-mci and I would rebuild that motor if it were mine.

Just my .02 and my personal preference. but everybody has their own opinions.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:09 PM   #5
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks CP, that is exactly what I am looking for...opinions from folks that have played in each of the various engine types...stock, singles, and twins.

I was curious about the pedal start on the big twin...I hadn't seen anyone discuss it.

Not sure if the stocker will be rebuildable...I just pulled the engine out, now time to pull it apart and check the internals. Everything turns fine, no noises at all, so i suspect it will be fine, but as you know, when stuff breaks internally, other stuff can get broken, so we will see.

The other thing I am running into is the long lead times on components. Suspension is 6-8 weeks out. Engine kits about half that. I was hoping to get to building while things are a bit slow...not looking like that is possible.

If the stock 295 can be rebuilt, are there aftermarket parts available to improve low end torque, or overall power? billet rods, heavy valve springs, etc.?
Old 07-20-2020, 08:21 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I dont know of any "performance" parts for the Robins 295. Aside from swapping in a 350...

In my experiences (and I've seen many like this and dont understand why) the rod cap bolts loosen. I have had many that were knocking, and the rod caps are finger tight. If that. Retorque them and they run like a champ again. No clue *why* they loosen but I've seen enough that have been that way to say in my experiences, it's not uncommon.

Now, if you continue to run it like that, eventually something is gonna give.

I'd pull it apart. Chances are, with minimal $ invested (rods, rings, seals and gaskets) you'll have a sound motor. Id check the intake valves closely, they're known to wear and are about $20 each.

My personal opinion, the clone motors are torquey and powerful, and fun, but for me have never offered any advantages over a stock motor to compensate for all the additional noise and devaluation of the cart. The whole "key start, and idling when you stop" thing is a HUGE turnoff to 99% of golf cart buyers. I often buy, rebuild, and sell them so for me the resale value is more important to me than someone that is going to build it and keep it for 20 years.

If it was a newer MCI Robin's motor my opinion may be different. I dont like those motors. But the pre-MCI motors I would rebuild all day long. Especially if I were planning to keep it.

Again this is all my.personal opinion. There are others here that loooove clone motors and big block swaps. But for me and 99% of people out there buying and driving golf carts, stock motor is best.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:48 PM   #7
jjastram
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Everything CP241 said about a stock motor is true. People that are happy running around in a stock would not like to spend the extra effort and time it takes to care for a big block swap. I am one of those that looooves my big block VC460. The time I spend tinkering with it is my joy. I also get a lot of joy when someone with their "tuned stocker" thinks they are going to pass me when I'm doing 10-12 mph. With every body looking to buy carts now, you would have no problem getting your money out of it either way. You just have to match what you do to it with the right buyer. That's my 2 cents but due to the coin shortage I won't give them to you.
jjastram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 01:50 PM   #8
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That brings up a good point...how much "tinkering" is necessary on a big block? I am certainly able to do the mechanical work on it, just don't want to have to be working on it every week. Do they break down for minor stuff all the time? or are they very reliable generally?
Old 07-23-2020, 04:01 PM   #9
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I am another VC 460 user. I have been running mine since 2014. I also had run the stock and modified G 14 engine from 2008 until the swap in 2014. There is no comparison between the two. I would never bother with a stocker again. As far as reliability these engine are used in equipment all over the world for hours on end. 2 points 1) they are louder than the stocker but with good exhaust system this is fine. 2) The only thing needed by the clone engine from the cart is a reliable fuel system. As long as they aren't over revved they can easily run 1000 hours. Spare parts are cheap and available every where. NOT like stock parts.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:06 PM   #10
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Ray, do you have a motorcycle carb? These motors are generally built to run constant speed, think pumps, pressure washers, concrete finishers, etc...how difficult are they to set up for variable speed on throttle? Do the stock carbs function adequately, or is there machining and trial and error with other carb set ups required?
The Vegas Carts stuff and Jakes stuff all seem to have long delays for delivery ...and the VC460 is no longer available...with the current lead times on parts, looks like it will take a year to build.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO