lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-10-2020, 03:13 PM   #1
Edgenterprises
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 1986 EZ GO rear end leak

Hey guys - new here.

Just got a golf cart with a blown head gasket. Rebuilt it, ported, polished, shaved the head .025" new piston, rings - all good.

Problem I am having is the rear end is leaking from the pinion seal. I replaced the pinion seal - still leaking. Has anyone run into having a clutch diameter too small causing a leak from the pinion seal?

According to the specs on the National seal book, the pinion seal #472164 has is for a 1.750 shaft. Any idea what the tolerance on the 1.750 should be. I am thinking I am going to have to remove the clutch again and measure that diameter that is supposed to shut-off on the seal and also make sure that there the pinion bearing isn't shot.

I machined a seal driver and everything for the install and it went fine - but it is still leaking.

Any help would be great.

Thanks guys.
Edgenterprises is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-11-2020, 10:05 AM   #2
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1986 EZ GO rear end leak

How far in/deep did you plant the seal?
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:18 AM   #3
Edgenterprises
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Until it stopped, probably an 1/8 past flush. Do you think the seal is over driven?
Old 07-11-2020, 10:46 AM   #4
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

I went through this last year, I don't remember the brand name of that first seal but it was very hard to get started. Finally was able to kinda force it in and tapped it home like you did and it leaked, so I bought another (name brand) seal locally. I then measured them both and the first one was .002" bigger, hence the reason it was so hard to get started and I think I may have warped it a bit too.......

The second seal went in much easier (like it's suppose too) and I stopped it flush with the housing this time, no runs no drips no errors ever since...Good Luck
Old 07-11-2020, 11:09 AM   #5
Edgenterprises
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I pull it apart again and do some inspection, thanks for the help. Much appreciated!!
Old 07-13-2020, 08:38 AM   #6
Edgenterprises
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I did some measuring on Saturday. I think it is over driven as you stated. Based on the measurements, the lip was going to be right at the edge of the clutch when it was installed and possibly hanging over the edge. The clutch od measured at 1.753, so that is above the specification of the 1.750. I also polished that clutch surface.

Couldn't get the old seal out without damage, so I had to order another seal. Can't find anyone who stocks them within 40 miles of home. Seal should be in this afternoon. I think I machine a spacer so the seal cannot be overdriven into the housing.

I will see how it all goes tonight.

Thanks again for the help - this is a great forum!!
Old 07-13-2020, 10:29 AM   #7
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Very good, machining a spacer is a neat idea. Wish I had access to a lathe again but I do not, although it sounds like a lot of work. I just tapped mine in using a 1" x 2" piece of wood to keep it flush.....

I first noticed mine leaked whenever I stopped quickly, left a puddle on the ground. So that's how I tested the new seal lol, no more puddles.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:36 AM   #8
Edgenterprises
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Fixed it up last night. Had a piece of brass that I ended up making a ring from. It was .200" thick to get the right distance to the end of the housing. Worked like a champ so far. I took it on a mile drive last night before the rain and no leaks so far.

Thanks for the assistance. Again great forum, I love this place - all kinds of advice and input!!
Old 07-14-2020, 08:59 AM   #9
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Nice job, That should be good for another 30 years

Tags
clutch, dana, pinion, rear end, spicer
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO