lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-10-2020, 04:30 PM   #1
God of Thunder
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default EZGO Marathon - Turns over but doesn't start! (another one!)

Hello! First post and first golf cart! I picked up this very nice 1991 EZ-GO today. I - admittedly - do not know much if anything about them other than press the pedal and it goes. This one - it seems the engine spins up, but doesn't actually engage the clutch? Is the engine even coming on? I don't quite understand how these motors work (2-stroke)....is it always "on"? I took a video here, the belt seems extremely lose but I don't see the clutch coming closer to the crankshaft to tighten the belt - which I think is the problem. I am just not sure if that means the engine isn't on - or if there is a problem with the clutch area?!

I took a video - but I guess I have to be a member for 7 days to post it!

Can someone please help educate me a little on this machine?!

After some learning - and actually posting this in the electric section first - I have learned that this means that the engine is turning over but is not actually starting! I'm going to start with a compression test here soon and confirm that I have spark.
God of Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-10-2020, 04:40 PM   #2
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Default Re: EZGO Marathon - Turns over but doesn't start! (another one!)

Sounds like it's not running, in the reply box click on the paper clip in the tool bar to upload video.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 10:44 PM   #3
God of Thunder
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Alright - interesting (and probably not good) turn of events here....

I got a compression tester thingy from O'reilly's, and it showed about 50. My grandpa said to try putting some 2-stroke oil in there (spark plug hole) and taking a new reading because the oil could seal the ring (he was a mechanic in the 80s). I did that and got a reading of 120. So I put the spark plug back in - tried it - and nothing. I then took another reading and got 60 again. So I tried a bit more oil - took it again - and got 120....then I did it immediately again, and got 60. So that's where I am - but it's looking like compression is the likely issue here.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:53 PM   #4
God of Thunder
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Alright! Took the head off the engine, and the piston definitely has some play. Will be doing a rebuild on it. I see a lot of people say to replace the crank seals, is that just something like these?

https://www.golfcartgarage.com/ezgo-...4aAnyAEALw_wcB
Old 07-13-2020, 07:29 AM   #5
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Buy two of those. Make sure you put the piston in the right direction, and the rings bevel side up. I will have your manual when I get home.

This is a link to the 3pg manual. Every chapter is a separate pdf file.
https://app.box.com/s/3habgxrtgz
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO