lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-10-2020, 04:46 PM   #1
smesser5
Not Yet Wild

Default 1998 EZGO gas no fire

I have a 98 EZGO TXT gas, I have changed every electrical component on the cart and the thing still will not fire. The engine turns over but no fire at all, anybody had this experience?
smesser5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-11-2020, 10:26 AM   #2
smesser5
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1998 EZGO gas no fire

Can someone tell me if the generator is supplying power to the ignition system or does it strictly charge the battery and that is all? All new electrical components and still no fire!
Old 07-11-2020, 12:48 PM   #3
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Have you checked for spark? When some people say no fire, they mean won't try to start. Others say no fire, and mean no spark.

If there is spark, do a compression test, and adjust your valves.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 03:42 PM   #4
smesser5
Not Yet Wild

I have no spark from the plugs, new plugs, pulser coil, coil, and ignitor.
Old 07-11-2020, 06:08 PM   #5
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

And where did you purchase these new parts ?

Bring out your meter and check the continuity of the wiring harness starting where it plugs in coming from pulser coil going to other side of cart and other places that have plug in connections.
I have worked on these carts for years and what I have found is people replace a part with a cheap aftermarket one and they cause the problem.

The OEM ignitor is $219 . Most won't pay that much and go for the el cheapo one.
I have found the aftermarket coils are junk also.

There is no test for the ignitor other than installing a new one. Wish it was but its not as far as I know.
There is also a repair manual and wiring diagram on this site.
Check these manuals and see if you might narrow down your issue.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 07:29 PM   #6
smesser5
Not Yet Wild

trig123- I have checked continuity on every wire on the cart and found no broken wires. Yes, I'm guilty of buying the after market junk however I have since changed out everything again with OEM and still have no spark. I have not checked the output of the generator yet... could a bad output from the generator effect the ignition system?

Even took it to a repair shop and they don't know what the issue is either!
Old 07-11-2020, 09:57 PM   #7
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Maybe you could upload a video to youtube of you spinning it over with a test light connected to positive terminal of coil wire. With it still connected to terminal lets see what the test light looks like. I think we can get you firing. Never had one whoop me yet. Get that video and lets see what it looks like. Show a picture of the battery also if you don't mind.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:01 AM   #8
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by smesser5 View Post
trig123- I have checked continuity on every wire on the cart and found no broken wires. Yes, I'm guilty of buying the after market junk however I have since changed out everything again with OEM and still have no spark. I have not checked the output of the generator yet... could a bad output from the generator effect the ignition system?

Even took it to a repair shop and they don't know what the issue is either!
The output of the generator will not cause it not to fire. Don't worry about that yet. Its turning over you said so it must be working. It will still run fine if you unplug the green field wire at regulator.
I just wanted to make sure the battery is not installed backward. It will turn over if by mistake someone put the cables on backward but it would not fire.
Maybe if I get time I can upload a video of what you need to look for when the engine is spinning over.
Also you said you installed new parts. Did you check the output of the pulser coil when spinning over. Should generate at least 1/2 volt AC.
One more thing. You said you installed the OEM parts back on. Look good at the coil. If its an OEM it will have the plus (+) and minus (-) clearly marked on top of coil. The aftermarket ones don't.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OEM coil and aftermarket one ezgo.jpg (62.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-12-2020, 04:47 PM   #9
smesser5
Not Yet Wild

I am sure the battery is hooked up correctly, the shop that has the cart right now installed the new OEM parts but I have not picked it up yet. I checked the pulser coil by the procedure below and the shop checked the new one as well.
If the rectifier is bad on the generator then the system would not be getting the correct voltage right? The cart was running when it was last used during hunting season, but will not since I brought it back home. Saying that to say I don't know if the generator is even charging the battery right now as it will not run. It will be another week before I get home and go pick up the cart. If something isn't figured out by then I can upload some video. Thanks for your interest... I'm stumped!!

Unplug the connector leading into the engine. Place the
(-) probe from the DVOM (set to the ohms scale) on the
red/white wire from the pulser coil, and the (+) probe on
the black wire also from the pulser coil. A reading of
433.5 - 586.5 Ω should be observed. If the measurement
obtained is out of this range or if a reading of no
continuity is displayed, replace the pulser coil. Make
certain that the air gap is correct. Set with a .032” feeler
gauge. There is no timing adjustment.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:44 PM   #10
smesser5
Not Yet Wild

Just got my cart back from the shop that couldn't fix it, I was putting the cart back together from the dude working on it and decided to check it for spark again. I first run a jumper cable from the negative side of the battery to one if the spark plugs to check for engine ground. The plug was firing, removed the jumper cable and it was still firing. So WTH decided to see if it would start up and it did!!! Woohoo it is fixed miraculously... Started putting everything back on to the cart (covers, air box, etc...) after finished it would not start! Checked for spark and none! Kept trying it and it would spark one time and that's it and it wasn't consistent either. Thoughts????
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO