lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-25-2012, 08:19 AM   #11
Doc's BoneCracker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 97 TXT 295cc - Tried EVERYTHING - still backfiring and no power!!!

Hey stonekn, I have to agree with the linkage. Start by backing off the jam nuts on the long linkage from the back of the motor to the front of the motor. this one should have just a slight amount of hang to it. after you back the nuts of you can turn it to lengthen or tighten which ever you need. I'll look for a early post that had pictures for you.
Doc's BoneCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-25-2012, 08:28 AM   #12
popatop
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Is this the post you were talking about Doc?
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/ezgo-...ntainance.html
popatop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:15 PM   #13
Doc's BoneCracker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by popatop View Post
Is this the post you were talking about Doc?
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/ezgo-...ntainance.html
No I looked at that one and it's a help for him but the Link (post) I was thinking of was back in Jan. and one of the guys actually had step by step pictures of the linkage from carb back to the rear of the engine area.
Doc's BoneCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:33 AM   #14
popatop
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I Know what he is going through took me for ever to get mine set right, that backfiring will drive ya nuts or nuttier
popatop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #15
stonekn
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I finally got some time this weekend to take another look & think I may have found the problem. Although the new electrical compenents were installed at a golf cart shop, apparently double-checking their work was worth it. I discovered the pulsor coil on the flywheel had no gap & was laying on the flywheel. I gapped it properly & the backfiring was much less but after examination, the pick-ups appear to be damaged from contact with the flywheel.
Does anyone know how far the pick-ups should stick out from the unit, or are they flush with the plastic case?
I have no idea how to test this, or examine it to determine if its any good.
stonekn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:31 PM   #16
jeffrun
Gone Wild

the air gap for the pulsar should be .030 to .032.with the sensor lined up for firing.
jeffrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:06 PM   #17
stonekn
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Jeff, I did gap the pulsar correctly, but my concern is knowing if the metal pickup sensor is damaged. All the photos I can find appear to have one metal bar, but mine is ground down to the plastic from contact with the flywheel & looks like they are now 2 separate bars. I assume, it's supposed to be raised a bit from the base & has one bar connecting the left & right side & it possibly isn't getting a proper connection to send the pulse signal. I have to wait a week for parts anyways, so I'm considering some micro-solder & file it flat & even to see if it'll hold.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #18
jeffrun
Gone Wild

yes, the bar should protrude out from the plastic about 1/16". The bar should be solid,not seperated. Solder is made up of tin/lead and not compatible to magnetic steel.doubt that would work, if it did,you would have reduced performance. Bottom line is you need a new pulsar,set the gap and your cart should run fine. Bouncing on the flywheel would cause backfiring. The output wires of the pulsar should be 1 volt minimum AC output, measured with VOM,while being cranked. Another performance upgrade would be to replace the ignitor with a HEI unit.
jeffrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #19
stonekn
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Well, I believe you're correct Jeff. Thanks for all the info. Since I had such a hard time finding a pic of the Pulsar coil, I'll include links of the pics of what it is NOT supposed to look like below for anyone who has the same question later on.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/membe...ez-go-gas.html
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/membe...ez-go-gas.html

I'll follow up in a few days when new parts arrive to announce the verdict.
Thanks to all who replied with their expertise. I've never had an engine I couldn't fix & this thing has just about driven me insane!
Old 10-29-2012, 11:58 PM   #20
stonekn
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

OK, so shortly after my last post, I purchased a new pulsar coil, installed it & properly gapped it. Once installed I got absolutely no spark. Thinking it may be faulty, I exchanged it for a new one with the same "no spark" result. I re-installed the old pulsar coil & got spark, but with the same no-power & backfire.

At this point I drug the P.O.S. around the back of my shop & contemplated setting fire to it....LOL

After several months of watching it sit there, I've decided to give it another go. I knew that it had been abused in a few paintball wars in the woods & decided to pull the flywheel to ensure it hadn't sheared the key & jumped time at the flywheel. The key was in perfect shape. While I had the flywheel off, I took this opportunity to consult my manual & ensure everything was aligned exactly as pictured in the book. I also re-installed one of the new pulsar coils while I was at it.

For the test, I removed the plugs, attached them to the plug wires & grounded them to the exhaust for a spark test. When I push the pedal down, the plugs spark just once, then no spark after that?????

Should I just go back to the old beat up Pulsar coil, or could it be an igniter issue????

Tags
backfire, bog down, ez-go, loss of power
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO