lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > On Road Golf Carts!
On Road Golf Carts! Low to the ground Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-29-2010, 03:45 PM   #1
yamajeep
Not Yet Wild

Default Best Gas Frame for Custom Body?

Hi folks, I want to ask for your help with one of my projects. I recently, restored a mini baby jeep. Was a mess when I got it. I am new to Golf carts and want to ask what would you (everyone) consider to be the best frame to use on this baby jeep? I am a bit reluctant as I normaly keep (toys or collectables) with their original parts but this may be the exception.
I would like to share some of the details. I plan to use at shows or parades, no off road. Jeep is aluminum body formed over steel tube. This was made in the 60's and I just had to have it. I completely stripped the car which was made with Isetta parts for steering and pedals. Had a 200cc 3 speed Villiers engine. Independent suspension made by using a (I believe Vespa) scooter swing arm on driver side. Motor was linked to the swing arm via an auto U-joint and yoke arrangement? Original metal was very thin .030 and dented all over. I used .065 thick aluminum used for building full size cars. Jeep only has rear shock suspension. The frame was also crudley made and most of the bottom tubes were very rusted. I replaced the outer tubes that were the most deteriorated and reinforced weak areas. I made a new oak dashboard, steel windshield frame and hand formed a jeep grille.

OK, after all the work put into the jeep I thought of upgrading to all around suspension with a stronger frame and reliable braking. I like the old look but I think the jeep deserves to move up to modern times. I feel that a good EZGO frame or Yamaha frame could work nicely. Baby jeep measures 3' by 6'

What do you all think? My decision is based on first enjoying and using the jeep safely. I want to enjoy it as much as I can and hopefully build a few samples. I have enclosed pictures for you to see the jeep before restoration. Next post will show pictures during and after restoration. I do hope everyone can enjoy the pictures and please help with your feedback. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MJ002.jpg (159.6 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg MJ003.jpg (142.8 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg MJ011.jpg (111.1 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg MJ013.jpg (105.1 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg MJ019.jpg (85.1 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by yamajeep; 05-29-2010 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: shorter description
yamajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-29-2010, 05:03 PM   #2
yamajeep
Not Yet Wild

Default Best Gas Frame for Custom Body?

Here are a few more pictures of the baby jeep restoration. I have 2 options, leave as is and finish, or do a bit more work and up-grade. It is out of the ordinary because the jeep was never designed for a golf cart frame but I love a good challenge and think it can be done, with lots of help of course!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MJ035.jpg (106.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg MJ043.jpg (78.1 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg MJ071.jpg (42.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg MJ072.jpg (152.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg MJ079.jpg (170.7 KB, 40 views)
Old 05-29-2010, 05:28 PM   #3
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Default Re: Best Gas Frame for Custom Body?

WOW!! You and TNG are twin sons from different mothers.... Yamaha G9/G2 frame, G8 if you can find one, for the rear suspension........ Perfect!
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:40 PM   #4
Offtwice
Member 23082

Club Car

CC Precendent frame is the best I have yet to see.

IMO
Offtwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:43 PM   #5
yamajeep
Not Yet Wild

Flintrock, Thanks. Would most Yamaha frames work with size of jeep 3'x6' ? I mean what is the difference, lets say between a G9/G2 and a G8 cart? Body? or does wheelbase come into play?
Old 05-29-2010, 07:28 PM   #6
yamajeep
Not Yet Wild

Offtwice, just checked out your 06 CC Precedent and it is looking great!!!!. Thanks for your suggestion. CC Precedent on my list.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:36 PM   #7
Offtwice
Member 23082

Club Car

Thanks Yama! That jeep is gonna be sick, looking forward to more pics of your progress! Don't let us down man
Offtwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:33 AM   #8
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

First, very cool find Any golf car frame would need to be narrowed and shortned also the diff and front suspenssion components. Seems to me what you are going to use it for, the stock frame with "updates" for strength would be the better bet. Does the engine run? Thanks for posting, I know I'll be watching, what ever you decide.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:02 AM   #9
yamajeep
Not Yet Wild

Thanks smallblock450sl,

I had the engine looked over by experts in the field of motorcycle engines and no one could help. Does look in good shape after cleaning it up but was siezed and missing some major components. I am sure if I throw lots of money into it, it can be restored. Anyways would prefer a good engine that will work with whatever frame I do find. Anything out there please let me know. The hunt begins.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:01 PM   #10
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Yamaha and Ezgo use steel frames, Club Car uses aluminum. So most would want to work with steel, unless you can weld aluminum. Yamaha's (G1's "2 cycle engines"/ G2/G9 and G8's) used a differential with axle tubes/axles that were bolted onto the center section, maybe easier to narrow. But you'll also need extra room for the engine/drive clutch/blts system. Just some thouhgts for you. Did a quick search on Ebay and they do have Vespa engines/stuff.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
custom body, ezgo, frame, gas, yamaha
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > On Road Golf Carts!