lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-16-2011, 11:55 PM   #21
Quinn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: ebay 5'' lift kit

Yes those shocks are longer then standard and the need for the shock extender is not needed. Again I want to clarify on the front lifting blocks of why I don't like them, to avoid confusion. I'm not worried of them falling out, I'm worried about the fulcrum effect placed on the springs. Its just a single leaf, with a helper, when you add in the blocks it is now 5 inches below its normal attach point.

Heck with a golf cart maybe nothing will ever happen to make this a big deal. Its just the thought of spring steel, thats an 1 1/2 by a 1/4 inch, shouldn't be stressed as a pivot point well beyond its design.
Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-17-2011, 07:26 AM   #22
tguellich
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Pachanga - Thanks for those part numbers. They should still fit my 92, right? do you have part numbers for the fronts?

Jlloyd - I must have bought the exact kit you did a few weeks ago. The spacers were way too large to go in the rear shock mount. I installed the lift without the spacers and just made sure I didn't crush the shock mount when I tightened the lock nut. My original shocks are shot anyway so I am going to replace all 4 with longer shocks and eliminate the extenders.
tguellich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:29 PM   #23
jlloyd
Getting Wild

Pachanga, will those shocks only work with the 5'' kit or will that same shock work with shorter lifts? i would also like the part #'s for replacement shocks for the front for 5'' kit.
jlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:49 PM   #24
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

The shock numbers will work for a 4" kit,I haven't looked into front replacements yet.As far as the blocks with the springs,I work for a spring-shop(Thruwayspring.com)We manufacture,assemble,and install leaf-springs,and I have talked with our senior guy(38yrs.and I work next to him everyday-learn what i can from the Master)and the springs can take a lot more than we will ever put them thru.He built the springs in my cart,same thickness leafs,but we changed the length(+2"),stagger of the leafs(shortened the upper for better articulation),and also tipped the front 4" of the springs upwards to correct caster.The steel is the same stuff you find under most pick-ups,so if its' holding them,it will hold a cart,even with the leverage of the blocks.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:20 PM   #25
jlloyd
Getting Wild

does anybody know what replacement shocks i can use with the 5'' kit i have?
Old 05-17-2011, 07:47 PM   #26
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachanga90 View Post
The shock numbers will work for a 4" kit,I haven't looked into front replacements yet.As far as the blocks with the springs,I work for a spring-shop(Thruwayspring.com)We manufacture,assemble,and install leaf-springs,and I have talked with our senior guy(38yrs.and I work next to him everyday-learn what i can from the Master)and the springs can take a lot more than we will ever put them thru.He built the springs in my cart,same thickness leafs,but we changed the length(+2"),stagger of the leafs(shortened the upper for better articulation),and also tipped the front 4" of the springs upwards to correct caster.The steel is the same stuff you find under most pick-ups,so if its' holding them,it will hold a cart,even with the leverage of the blocks.Hope this helps.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. This is a prime example of why more than a few inches is NOT recommenced.

roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:10 PM   #27
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Dayum, Unsafe and ugly in the same cart!!
All that lift and ya still got 4" of axle clearance........
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:10 PM   #28
jlloyd
Getting Wild

so should i contact the ebay seller and see if he'll trade me a 4'' kit for the 5'' before i install it????
Old 05-17-2011, 08:42 PM   #29
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

As I have stated previously,There is nothing wrong with the block-kits when used as designed.Obviously anymore than 5" is not a smart move,and I don't suggest or support the use of anything larger.If you want 4" lift do it,If you want 5" do it,the choice is yours,and it will be safe either way as long as it is done properly.The shock numbers I have posted are for 4"-5" lift rear-shocks.They have enough travel for more lift(maybe 7" lift).Just to add,I'm not some young know-it-all just spoutin info out,I'm almost 40,I've been around racing,Heavy-Trucks and cars since birth,and know quite a lot about fabrication(my main occupation at ThruWay),and Also suspension set-up,function,and tuning.We've raced everything from Go-Karts to Stock-Cars and have friends in Drag-Racing and Dirt-Modifieds.So my background covers what I suggest,I would not recommend anything to anyone that I wouldn't do myself.My Twin-Boys ride on my cart(they are 3-1/2)almost as much as me and I won't put them in a situation,so trust me,If I build it,Its' right.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:28 PM   #30
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlloyd View Post
so should i contact the ebay seller and see if he'll trade me a 4'' kit for the 5'' before i install it????
5" in my opinion" is about max with a block lift. (I personally wouldn't but thats just my personal opinion, but wont recommend any more than 4") There are several companies making the 5". Someone has done the engineering on it and has deemed it safe (for what its worth) That also includes some liability for their products. If they are made in china....good luck with liability.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO