lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-18-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
padodgens
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default g19e. How to check controller

Anyone know of a proven method to check the ge 48 volt 300amp controller. I bought this cart with no batteries and looks to have been well used. I know that are simple methods to check the motor but are there any methods to check the controller.
padodgens is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-22-2012, 07:30 PM   #2
swampsat
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: g19e. How to check controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by padodgens View Post
Anyone know of a proven method to check the ge 48 volt 300amp controller. I bought this cart with no batteries and looks to have been well used. I know that are simple methods to check the motor but are there any methods to check the controller.
try putting the cart in rev. the backup beeper should go on that means the controller is working fine but u need to put batteries in it to test.
swampsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
padodgens
Getting Wild
Yamaha

I can get the controller to work for very short period of time. When the cart won't go the reverse beeper does not work, but when I put it in reverse and the beeper works, the cart will run for a very short period. I have also had problems getting the solenoid to engage without straight wiring. Any ideas are greatly appreciated
Old 05-23-2012, 06:13 PM   #4
swampsat
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
I can get the controller to work for very short period of time. When the cart won't go the reverse beeper does not work, but when I put it in reverse and the beeper works, the cart will run for a very short period. I have also had problems getting the solenoid to engage without straight wiring. Any ideas are greatly appreciated
controller sounds like it is fine. But the solenoid on the other hand, looks like you will need a new one.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
padodgens
Getting Wild
Yamaha

One thing that confuses me. The reverse buzzer will sound with key off and solenoid disengaged. When the reverse buzzer sounds the cart will run, but only for a few minutes. When the cart stops running, the solenoid will still engage, but the reverse buzzer will not beep. After the cart sets for a while, you can turn the run tow switch to tow, then back to run, and once again the reverse buzzer beeps and the cart will run, but only for a brief period. It has me a little confused at the moment
Old 05-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #6
swampsat
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
One thing that confuses me. The reverse buzzer will sound with key off and solenoid disengaged. When the reverse buzzer sounds the cart will run, but only for a few minutes. When the cart stops running, the solenoid will still engage, but the reverse buzzer will not beep. After the cart sets for a while, you can turn the run tow switch to tow, then back to run, and once again the reverse buzzer beeps and the cart will run, but only for a brief period. It has me a little confused at the moment
it sounds like the solenoid is dropping out when it gets hot which it will shut the controller down then when hit the tow/run switch it resets everything
Old 05-25-2012, 03:46 PM   #7
padodgens
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Replaced the solenoid. Did not fix the problem. Any other words of wisdom would be appreciated
Old 05-25-2012, 04:11 PM   #8
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

A couple of thoughts. Look real close at the white plastic 2 wire connector from the wire harness to the solenoid leads, make shure they have no corossion or deteriation. Second, jack up the car, put your volt meter on the 48 volt - and 48 volt + posts, push on the accelerator and see if there is a voltage drop.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:00 PM   #9
padodgens
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Thanks Smallblock, Will go thru those test on Monday. Have a Daughter coming in tonight and a family reunion tomorrow. Putting it to rest over the weekend
Old 05-28-2012, 04:04 PM   #10
padodgens
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Checked the two wires going to the solenoid. No corrosion. Jacked up cart and put volt meter on battery pack, Dropped less than 1 volt. Reminder on the solenoid. One wire going to the solenoid (positive is hot all the time. The negative lead is open, but I do get continuity between it and the multiple wire plug on the side of the controller. In order to get the solenoid to work with some control, I ran a jumper from the negative side of the battery pack to the negative side of the solenoid and removed the positive wire. I the tapped into the lead from the switch from the accelerator so the solenoid would activate when I pushed the accelerator down. If I go out to the cart and place the run/tow switch to run, it will run for a short distance then quit. When it quits the solenoid will still cut in, but no go. I can raise the seat and flip the run tow switch and it will reset, but only run for a short distance. The waiting time for reset varies from a few minutes to several minutes. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha