lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-04-2014, 09:46 AM   #1
pcvst.tech
Getting Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Diesel Club Car UTV charging system issue

We have these three UTV trucks made by Club Car, although they are labeled Husqvarna, that we are having charging system issues with. Two snow storms ago, late into the night I got calls for jump starts. all three had died in the field, at various times between midnight and day break. Since they run on little diesel engines they will run longer on a weak charging system that a spark ignition engine, but with all the accessories going(lights, wipers, heater fan, salt spreader, plow blade)they couldn't make it back to my shop. I found them all to be charging at around 12.6V. That's always equaled dead alternator in my experience. So I pulled two of the alternators that morning, and sent them to a refurbisher, and much to my chagrin I was told that there was nothing wrong with the alternators. With a grumble and a gripe I reinstalled the alternators and dropped in new batteries even though the original ones passed a load test. Surprise! Now charging at 14.5V with the new batteries. Whatever, I'll take it. Well, last night we had another snow storm, and by mid night I was having dejavu. Calls on the radio for jump starts, and all 3 alternators only putting out 12.6V. They will climb back up to 14V when the throttle is up, but they can't be driven wide open like that when they are plowing and salt spreading on NYC sidewalks. Kind of at a loss here, and we've got another storm coming in tonight. My supervisor is off on a mission to get another three batteries, this time Interstate brand, and hopefully that will keep our trucks rolling through the night. but it doesn't solve the problem. The dealer where we got the UTV trucks says there are no high output alternators available, but they are a few degrees removed from the actual manufacturer, so I wonder if there are other alternator options. These are all approved accessories installed on these little stinkers, so they should be able to handle the full load. I wonder if a smaller pulley on the alternator would help to keep the alternator spinning faster at low engine speeds... Anybody here got any opinion on this issue?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5700.jpg (164.2 KB, 0 views)
pcvst.tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-04-2014, 10:38 AM   #2
Streetbu
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Diesel Club Car UTV charging system issue

I'm a Husqvarna dealer. Your issue is obvious to me. Too much electrical load and too low of an engine RPM to sufficiently keep the batteries charged. In addition, they aren't meant to be used to plow commercially. Just not built for it. I would even bet that Kubota would not recommend commercial plowing with theirs. Just because it can do it doesn't mean it should. You could add a second battery, that will double your run time before they go dead, but you'd still have to charge them up after each plow session. I'm going out on a limb here and guessing your not using low ranger either. That would help keep the rpms up & the system charged.
Streetbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:53 AM   #3
pcvst.tech
Getting Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetbu View Post
I'm going out on a limb here and guessing your not using low ranger either. That would help keep the rpms up & the system charged.
A low ranger, what's that?
Old 02-04-2014, 10:59 AM   #4
Streetbu
Gone Wild

Club Car

Haha oops, Should say low range. That should have a transfer case for high or low gear, just like a 4wd truck.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:04 AM   #5
pcvst.tech
Getting Wild

Mixed Breed

Only forward and reverse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5701.jpg (67.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-04-2014, 11:07 AM   #6
Streetbu
Gone Wild

Club Car

Maybe I'm wrong... Haven't sold one of those in years. I could've sworn they had a hi-low lever for the transfer case. I cant find the specs on it right now. Let me keep digging.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:12 AM   #7
Streetbu
Gone Wild

Club Car

What year is it? They did make the earlier models with a 40 amp alternator, the later ones had a 60 amp.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:16 AM   #8
pcvst.tech
Getting Wild

Mixed Breed

Model#4421-DX
serial#RK1329-381600
Old 02-04-2014, 11:36 AM   #9
Streetbu
Gone Wild

Club Car

? they don't make them any more, havent for at least 2 years.... If you go on www.Husqvarna.com they aren't even listed any more. Maybe you bought it last year but are you sure it's a 2013?
Old 02-04-2014, 11:45 AM   #10
pcvst.tech
Getting Wild

Mixed Breed

We bought them in 2013. they replaced three Kubota UTVs that we lost in the flood waters of Sandy.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car