lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-24-2015, 06:04 PM   #1
bigirish2
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Default newbie looking for a Combo 1 owner

I have a 1975 Cushman combo 1 that I am making a NEV out of and need some moral support or maybe even advice. Might there be a Combo 1 owner on the list that would like to contribute their expertise?
Mike
bigirish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-27-2015, 02:11 PM   #2
psycmeistr
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: newbie looking for a Combo 1 owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigirish2 View Post
I have a 1975 Cushman combo 1 that I am making a NEV out of and need some moral support or maybe even advice. Might there be a Combo 1 owner on the list that would like to contribute their expertise?
Mike
I'm a 1975 Combo 1 owner--I've had it since 2011, and for the most part I love it. I use it at the seasonal campground spot.

The only issue I have had is occasional arc-ing in the brass speed control contacts, which then de-forms them, making the throttle stick. (It happened just this past weekend). I also just put in a new set of batteries a couple of weeks ago.

I just got done ordering new contacts (luckily the Cushman company still makes them) and hope to get delivery in a couple of days.

Definitely a unique cart-- everybody seems to love it, and nobody will mistake it for another's cart.
psycmeistr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:15 PM   #3
psycmeistr
Not Yet Wild

As far as the NEV goes--

The Combo comes with turn signals, brake lights, a (very) audible horn, etc.-- so you should be good to go in that department.

Protip: Approximately 240 or so of these carts were made--and these carts were the LAST purposed golf carts that the Cushman Company ever made-- Probably a good idea if you keep it as close to stock as possible. \
Old 05-27-2015, 04:21 PM   #4
bigirish2
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Thanks for the reply.
Too late for keeping it close to stock, but it could be converted back to stock as I have all the stock parts that I have removed. Tried not to make any additional holes, so it could be returned to stock easily. Paint won't be stock as I am going with the Lime Green that is on my Cushman Trackster.
To do the NEV conversion the cart needs to have only two forward facing seats so I have made the rear seat back rest fold down and makes into a flat cargo area, when the rear seat is folded down onto the foot rest. Works slick.
The other thing is the speed of 21 mph minimum, hence the new 48 volt motor and solid state controls.
Where are you located?
Mike
bigirish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 04:36 PM   #5
psycmeistr
Not Yet Wild

Hi Mike--

I'm in central Minnesota-

As I PM'ed you (though I'm not sure if it sent the PM--it doesn't seem to display PMs that have been sent), you may want to call the Cushman factory at 1 (612) 333-3487 (It's located in Minneapolis/St. Paul). So far, the only parts I've been able to locate are drive-train parts- the extras not so much.

My cart is pretty much stock-- The only things new in it are the batteries, and a new headlamp switch. I can see how the Solid State would make life easier, since you wouldn't have to worry about the speed control contacts arcing and the throttle sticking as has been the case with mine every so often-- at that point, I have to order new contacts and install them (I currently have my fourth set ordered--$78 per set, including shipping-- in about as many years).
Old 05-27-2015, 04:37 PM   #6
psycmeistr
Not Yet Wild

Oh--and by the way-- if you come across any place that has the original decals, that would be nice, because I would like to sand blast and repaint my cart.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:25 PM   #7
johnyrock
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

I'm just starting my Cushman Combo Project. I've stripped it completely down and going to completely rebuild. Not trying to keep it stock as far as the guts. Would love any info, direction and or words of wisdom as I start shopping for an engine and batteries. Any suggestions?
johnyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:37 AM   #8
Olddude42
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

I have one and was wondering if you can get the turn signal indicators and brake/tail lights for these.
Olddude42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha