lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-05-2015, 07:41 AM   #1
gallagher19
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1997 EZGO 4 cycle engine problems

Darn it. This thing ran fine for the first 3 weeks. Fresh oil and fresh gas in it. I am not sure if the battery is too weak to run the thing or what. It seems like it is hard to start and when it does start I need to run 1/4 to full choke to keep it going. It seems to fluctuate drastically when I press the throttle all the way down (in neutral). So I decided to clean air filter and carb. Still the same. Than I charged the battery. When I first put it on the charger it read 50%. I decided to try and start it and run it with the start function on my charger and it started up right away without the choke and stayed running consistantly. I charged it over night. I checked it this morning and it read 100% charge. Took it off the charger and cranked it over, it started with the choke on, yet once I push the choke in (off) it starts to stahl. Tried starting it and it seems to crank over slower than the beginning. WTH Is it a battery problem or fuel pump? I don't know, but I don't want to spend the coin if I am wrong. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Dee
gallagher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-05-2015, 10:37 AM   #2
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1997 EZGO 4 cycle engine problems

Couple of things come to mind. First, pull the fuel line off the carb and verify that you have good flow to the carb. When was the last time the valves were adjusted? Do them if its been a while. The battery should be load tested if its questionable about t holding a charge. A variety of causes for the battery issue exist. The most common is a faulty voltage regulator. It sounds like you could possibly have both a battery/charging issue and a fuel/engine issue.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:48 AM   #3
jeffrun
Gone Wild

I would staet by cleaning your batt cables connectors and have your battery load tested. If that checks out ,start cart and measure running voltage should be 13.5 to 14.5v. If all electrical checks then go to fuel system.Take loose fuel line at carb and crank, should have a good charge of fuel shoot out. If not fuel pump bad or pulse line full of oil. Set valve clearances if the havent been done in a while.
jeffrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:44 PM   #4
gallagher19
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks guys. Battery cable connectors clean. I only purchased the cart a month ago. Ran great up until yesterday. I don't know if the previous owner adjusted the valves. Will check with him. As for the battery load test and running voltage. I will test that tomorrow. I am really leaning towards the fuel pump though. I checked the charge tonight and it seems to be up. But, I did notice that the fuel filter looks almost empty. I assume it should be almost full of fuel going from the fuel pump to the carb. I will pull off the line before the carb and crank it over and see if that is it. Hopefully that is it. I know this will sound dumb, but what is the pulse line? If you are talking about anywhere on the fuel line, I can tell you it has no oil in it at all. Line is new and clear. I honestly don't know how to set valve clearances either. CRAP!!!
Old 05-05-2015, 10:05 PM   #5
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Lol. No worries. The pulse line comes off the pump and goes to the engine block. It usesccrankcase pressure to drive the pump. If you look in the tech section at the top of the gas ezgo page, you will find a thread that will explain how to do the valves. It's really easy.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:58 AM   #6
gallagher19
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sccowboy View Post
Lol. No worries. The pulse line comes off the pump and goes to the engine block. It usesccrankcase pressure to drive the pump. If you look in the tech section at the top of the gas ezgo page, you will find a thread that will explain how to do the valves. It's really easy.
Awesome sccowboy. Thanks for the info!!
Old 07-12-2015, 10:15 PM   #7
gallagher19
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Carb was dirty. Changed fuel filter, spark plug, air filter, new oil and cleaned the carb. Now she runs great!!! Thanks everyone.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO