lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-05-2016, 12:48 PM   #1
Sofa Kingdom
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Linearity of discharge?

I'm sure you've covered this at some point but I don't see it in my searches. How linear or consistent is discharge from 100% to a given point? Does a pack drop quickly off 100 and slow it's descent or vice versa? Or does it just consistently drop until dead? I'm referring to a pack under load, not just sitting idle.
Sofa Kingdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-05-2016, 02:41 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Linearity of discharge?

I assume you mean pack Voltage. No it is not linear.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:26 PM   #3
Sofa Kingdom
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

According to the US Battery 48v chart, my pack at 100% should read about 51.3v. At 60%, at the lowest recommended discharge the pack would be about 49v. I give 2 scenarios, which is more likely with all factors equal (flat ground, consistent throttle, weight, speed, etc)?

1. Battery pack holds around 51.3v for several miles, and then begins to drop at a noticeable rate over the next few miles and I stop at 49v and charge it.

Or

2. Battery pack drops quickly from 51.3v within first mile or two, and slowly creeps down to 49v, at which point I stop to charge it.

I am just trying to get a good idea how this should play out...
Old 05-06-2016, 04:53 AM   #4
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

In my case my cart gets drove for a little over a mile of up & down hills down to the marina where it then sits for a few hours and then repeats, the voltage of the pack if given a short recovery time comes right back up to 100 % SOC on each end of the leg so that definitly not linear at all... If I continue with using the cart for more than a couple miles the drop is fairly predictable with the voltage dropping more sharply as I get toward the 10 to 12 mile worth of use. Now keep in mind that my use is all very hilly.
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:43 AM   #5
ProsperDad
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

So for those that don't know me (I know 2 or 3 members personally), I'm a Director level employee of the maroon deep cycle battery manufacturer discussed frequently on this site and sometimes confused for a prophylactic manufacturer.

The discharge curve of a deep cycle battery is not linear. When first applying current (putting the pedal down) the voltage drops quickly, then recovers. For a period of time (generally to 80% depth of discharge or so), the curve is fairly linear. However, from 80% to 100%, the curve starts to drop pretty dramatically.

Bear in mind, that in the last 20%, the motor has to work harder to get the remaining energy out of the battery. Also bear in mind that most carts are designed in a way so not to discharge the pack beyond ~80% depending on the cart.

This image is a basic depiction of what the curve looks like:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Discharge.jpg (27.4 KB, 0 views)
ProsperDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:43 AM   #6
Sofa Kingdom
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks guys!
Old 05-07-2016, 09:12 PM   #7
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProsperDad View Post
So for those that don't know me (I know 2 or 3 members personally), I'm a Director level employee of the maroon deep cycle battery manufacturer discussed frequently on this site and sometimes confused for a prophylactic manufacturer.
Okay, now... THAT is funny!
Never once has someone asked about batteries for their prophylactics!

But, seriously... Welcome to BGW with your first post! Trojan batteries ROCK!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 10:42 PM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Hmm, looks fairly linear to me, given a predetermined load. Much Unlike lithium batteries.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha