lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2016, 01:55 AM   #1
vq018570
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default 2011 Yamaha Drive speed code question

Hello, first post and brand new yamaha cart owner. Found this site by chance and I have trying to soak up as much information as possible. My questions is regarding the dealer ptv or speed code upgrade. Any adverse effects from this? Does it shorten the life of the engine? I called my local dealer to ask about this and he told me that he doesn't recommend this and has had nothing but bad results from using the speed code. He recommends I upgrade to a high speed motor instead. Just curious as to what everyone's experience has been with this code upgrade. Just for info the cart will be used almost exclusively around the neighborhood.
vq018570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2016, 07:29 AM   #2
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Default Re: 2011 Yamaha Drive speed code question

Welcome. Are you dealing with an authorized Yamaha dealer? I believe that they are the only ones that can install the PTV upgrade. Easy and inexpensive way to get 19mph, but lights may be required. Never heard of someone NOT recommending the upgrade...
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:44 AM   #3
vq018570
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Yes he is an authorized dealer. I found it odd as well that he was not recommending a factory upgrade.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:46 AM   #4
Unsoshl
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I couldn't find a dealer nearby, so i went with a high speed motor from Electrical Motor Products and my cart increased from 14 mph to 22 mph. Ptv will only get you up to 19. Since then I've learned you can toss an alltrax controller in the cart with the stock motor and get the same results i did. Hit up scottyb on this site and he'll get you squared away. Ideal setup is new motor and controller. Cables will need to be upgraded as well if you go this route.
Unsoshl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 11:01 AM   #5
vq018570
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks for the info Unsoshl. Replacing the motor or controller is part of my long term goals with this cart. Right now my cart budget is going towards cosmetic fixes and upgrades. Which is why I was wondering about the code. If I can get to 19mph for a fraction of the cost of a new motor or controller, I would ok with that for now until I upgrade in the future. I was just wondering if anyone with the code has had the life of their cart shortened by using it. Quick queston though, did you install the motor yourself? Was it pretty straight forward?

Last edited by vq018570; 05-30-2016 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-30-2016, 12:41 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

yeah, i bet your dealer would like to sell you a high dollar motor instead of a cheap code. what he is not telling you is that the stock controller doesnt have the "juice" to fully utilize any high speed motor (but maybe he'll suggest you buy one of those when the results arent satisfactory). the only downside to the speed code is that you are putting money into a controller that you will want to replace when you get the bug for more speed & power. i would never recommend a high speed motor as a starting point on a Ydre, i would either get the ptv code (19mph, and be prepared to drop to about 12mph on hills, stock controller is weak), or get a upgrade controller that will get you about 22-23mph, and a lot less drop on hills. this is all with stock motor. i have installed many, many ptv speed codes, and never seen any ill effects on the motor.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 01:07 PM   #7
vq018570
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks cgtech, from reading around on these forums, it looks like you really know your stuff. Not really worried about torque for hills, the area around my neighborhood is completely flat . More than likely I'll go ahead and get the PTV code for now, but any recommendation on a controller that I can use with a stock motor now and then later use with an upgraded motor in a couple years?
Old 05-30-2016, 01:33 PM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

alltrax XCT48400YDRE or 48500. set amps no higher than 400 with stock motor (its easily adjustable). will need 4ga cables, stock solenoid is already HD, its actually a very nice one.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 01:48 PM   #9
vq018570
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks for the info, I will put it on my wishlist and I'll keep on browsing the forums and try to learn much as possible.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:31 PM   #10
Unsoshl
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Motor install was very easy. 3 bolts and a few cable hookups and ur good. 1 hr job and im a rookie. My cart is on flat asphalt as well. Good luck and keep me posted.
Unsoshl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
speed code, yamaha drive
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha