lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-16-2016, 02:09 PM   #1
woody1295
Not Yet Wild

Default fe290 timing?

Hello I have a carryall with an fe290 1992 model . we put new rings in it and polished the valves and cleaned up the rest . The cart went like a bat out of hell for about two months then it quit . right now it seems as though the timing is out , if I move the throttle cable to open the butterfly and release the compression for starting it will start to fire but I cant seem to keep it going then it sounds like its pinging like the timing is too far advanced and it has too much compression. I am at my wits end. I took it apart again to see if anything was wrong internally and it all seems fine.
Please help.
thank you in advance ( no pun intended)
woody1295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-17-2016, 04:58 AM   #2
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: fe290 timing?

I'm not terribly familiar with the FE290 motor but I would find it strange that a cart would run great for that long (2 months) and then quit as a result of the timing changing (?). Timing issues in my experience are realized almost immediately after a build and don't tend to cause a great running cart to fail like that.

What is it missing when it won't start? After you try to start it is the spark plug wet with fuel? Have you pulled the plug, held it grounded against the block with a pair of insulated pliers and watched it as you try to start it to see if you're getting spark?
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:26 AM   #3
woody1295
Not Yet Wild

I've done the plug against the head . lots of spark . the plug is wet only from not burning the fuel.. there is a compression relief valve for starting and it isn't being engaged . when I manually push on the butterfly to open the throttle the valve opens and it will fire but not run when I release the butterfly..
Old 08-19-2016, 09:13 AM   #4
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Check fly wheel key it it shears it will move on the shaft and throw off timing
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:05 PM   #5
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Timing issue would be very rare and would have to have something break, which I think would be very easy to find if that was the case. Have you removed the valve cover and checked the basics?
You have spark, so from there, you only need fuel, air and compression.....which one are you missing and you will have your answer.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:07 PM   #6
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody1295 View Post
I've done the plug against the head . lots of spark . the plug is wet only from not burning the fuel.. there is a compression relief valve for starting and it isn't being engaged . when I manually push on the butterfly to open the throttle the valve opens and it will fire but not run when I release the butterfly..
Are you saying the throttle butterfly doesn't stay open when pushing the pedal? Sounds like maybe a cable broken.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:07 AM   #7
woody1295
Not Yet Wild

I too the motor completely apart again and have found no broken parts no scraping parts .. nothing obvious... how does the llimiter work I noticed when you push the gas peddle the butterfly doesn't move could it be the transmission cable limiter thing is out.???

Tags
dsmodel, engine tming, fe290
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car