lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-03-2016, 12:49 PM   #11
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Hole in engine block...repair or scrap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
You are at the point where the decision should be made "what is my end goal for this cart ? ". If it is just to drive around at stock speed the stock clone is the answer. BUT as Shepard points out if more speed is the goal the vegascarts VRX 460 is the answer. All sorted all built good for 6000 rpms. Along with that just adding speed equipment to a stock clone will cost as much or more than the VRX 460, but will have the weaker 7 bolt engine block versus the much stronger 10 bolt VC unit. It all depends on what you want out of the cart.
I'm on board with the VC suggestion too - it looks like a lot more $ upfront (which it is) but everything is so well engineered, designed, and matched that it's a much less frustrating project and the end results are incredible, performance-wise (and all in all, likely the cheaper option by the time everything is turnkey said and done). One thing I *will* say as Devils Advocate though is that if You end up going w the HF clone for whatever reason, talk to VC about using their bracket, clutch and pulley to retain your stock charging and starting system, especially if You're running lights, radio, accessories, etc - THAT is a must.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-03-2016, 12:50 PM   #12
FluxCapacitor
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the update.

That motor is probably toast. Hole in block, broken rod (big end), most likely trashed crank bearing surface and much more. I would replace with a new or used one. Ask around here if someone has something.

Still not as bad (much cheaper) than my buddies BBC race motor...I kept these souvenirs!

50034353291__97A59848-F3D5-4B3F-84EA-C7F930B0D615.jpg
FluxCapacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 01:27 PM   #13
cartpartsplusman
Getting Wild
Club Car

Its all most allways the clutch side rod on a ez go welding those is hard because they use the block as part of the mount,if it warps any it binds the crank.as far as jb weld i have patched about 50 go cart motors with a screw over patch and jb and never had on fail they run on alky or gas with no issues
cartpartsplusman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 07:25 PM   #14
my1423
Gone Wild

As above all depends on what you want to do and your budget.

On a budget and you are inclined to do the work,
Buff the crank and mic it. If it is still round and in spec run it. Just make sure any high sharp bits are gone.

If the piston is good.
Rod, gasket kit, and package of jb weld running again. I would also through in a set of rings and grind the valves. Usually need a valve or 2 as well. They run really crappy cheap valves and they badly wear into the head.
my1423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:46 AM   #15
Drgyver
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for all the input fellas. I am just using the workhorse around the yard and neighborhood so Predator should fit the bill. I ordered a comet and pulley from VC and plan to fab the engine cradle and any needed brackets(that's half the fun for me!) Planning on tearing the stock motor apart over the winter for fun and see what it looks like just for fun. I'm sure I'll have more questions but may have to move over to the clone swap section.
Drgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 06:29 PM   #16
Skoal82
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Did you buy the predator yet?
A cheaper option is the powerland on eBay
I have used 6 of them so far all worked great except the one we over revved continually
And that one they still warentied for me
I think I usually buy them from 160-180$
Skoal82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:35 PM   #17
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Last time I checked those were all gone.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:43 PM   #18
Skoal82
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Ya your right
Must have been to good of a deal!
Skoal82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:05 PM   #19
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drgyver View Post
Thanks for all the input fellas. I am just using the workhorse around the yard and neighborhood so Predator should fit the bill. I ordered a comet and pulley from VC and plan to fab the engine cradle and any needed brackets(that's half the fun for me!) Planning on tearing the stock motor apart over the winter for fun and see what it looks like just for fun. I'm sure I'll have more questions but may have to move over to the clone swap section.
If the cylinder head isn't trash you might recoup some cash on the swap. Last one I sold brought $100 easy.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:23 PM   #20
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Good point. I parted out my G14 engine for $900 and the harley at $350 so far with many of the bigger parts not yet sold. All on Ebay.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO