lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-08-2016, 02:39 PM   #1
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Frankin cart? or what

Hey,
I just picked up a EZ gas cart. I ran the numbers under the dash and it came back as a 1996 TXT.
Then I got to looking at it and seen (ST) on the front spindles. Went looking at some pic's and it appears to be a ST front end.

The engine is a 295? and the wheel base is about 68''

I cant find any numbers on the frame, only the front cowl.

So I am not sure what I have here, Well other then a rod that was knocking
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ez st 012.jpg (109.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ez st 009.jpg (94.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ez st 011.jpg (91.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ez st 015.jpg (82.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ez st 003.jpg (100.9 KB, 0 views)
Gearhead1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-09-2016, 11:57 AM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Frankin cart? or what

That's a TXT, the ST didn't come out until 1999 and had the "Workhorse" or squared-off front end (cowl) ... That being said, I have seen the ST's with a mild drop-axle lift like Yours has, it's possible that someone used an ST lift to bring that cart up a bit, or at least that would be my first guess. The serial should be in the glovebox, BTW, and here's the link to check it direct from EZGO:

https://shop.ezgo.com/customer-servi...ialNumber.html

SO what's the plan, are You going to rebuild the current motor, send it out, or Big-Block it?
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 03:00 PM   #3
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCityMusic View Post
That's a TXT, the ST didn't come out until 1999 and had the "Workhorse" or squared-off front end (cowl) ... That being said, I have seen the ST's with a mild drop-axle lift like Yours has, it's possible that someone used an ST lift to bring that cart up a bit, or at least that would be my first guess. The serial should be in the glovebox, BTW, and here's the link to check it direct from EZGO:

https://shop.ezgo.com/customer-servi...ialNumber.html

SO what's the plan, are You going to rebuild the current motor, send it out, or Big-Block it?
The cart is lifted, those are 22'' tires on 8'' rims on it.
Not sure on engine yet.
I have found on this site a used 2004/ 295 engine for $200
I see rebuild kits for $350. The engine looks good except one rod.
But not sure if the 9hp is worth it.
also looking at the big block. if I can find a good used one. not willing to put $2500 in the engine for this cart.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:40 AM   #4
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Keep in mind that that 2004 engine is different than yours, it's an "MCI" engine which to put in your cart entails not just an engine swap but substantial ignition upgrades, etc, often a more expensive proposition than it's worth. You need to locate a 2002 or older engine ("pre-MCI") if You're looking to do a direct swap ... Give Carrie at CT Rebuilds a call, they'll sell You a brand new rebuilt drop-in engine with a warranty for under $600 with your core in trade if You don't want to tackle it yourself (the rebuild)
Old 12-10-2016, 10:46 AM   #5
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Keep in mind that that 2004 engine is different than yours, it's an "MCI" engine which to put in your cart entails not just an engine swap but substantial ignition upgrades, etc, often a more expensive proposition than it's worth. You need to locate a 2002 or older engine ("pre-MCI") if You're looking to do a direct swap ... Give Carrie at CT Rebuilds a call, they'll sell You a brand new rebuilt drop-in engine with a warranty for under $600 with your core in trade if You don't want to tackle it yourself (the rebuild)
Thanks for the info!!!
Think you just saved me some $$ and a big headache.
The rebuild looks pretty straight forward. I just need to come up with the torque specks and timing mark set up.
The most difficulty will be getting the engine cleaned, May see if I can get a transmission shop will clean it for me. They make those old transmissions look new!

Are there any difference in the rebuild kits? Everywhere I look the kits look the same, Made in TAIWAN and cost about $240-250 with new pistons and rods.

Thanks
Old 12-10-2016, 11:06 AM   #6
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

http://products.jacobsen.com/img/manuals/27615-g01.pdf

Ask and Ye shall receive, LOL ... We send most of our 295's/350's to CT because they do a COMPLETE rebuild, valves and guides, bearings, boring, etc but again, it's about double the cost of just doing a fast rod and piston job (although they send You a nice squeaky-clean motor, so there's another step averted, LOL)

Not to sound like a salesman, but they also offer a pretty serious upgraded motor, they call it their "375" which is actually a bored 350 with reworked 295 head, if your starter brushes are worn You'll have to replace them as the engineis higher compression and a bit harder to turn over, but they claim almost 14hp and I have installed enough of them to believe that's not an unrealistic estimate, they pull noticeably better than a stock 350 and night and day over a 295. You won't gain any top end really as the engine redlines similarly to the stock config, but the torque is substantial. Last I checked the 375 was running about $125 more than a stock rebuild, just a little more food for thought.

If You're still going to tackle it yourself, almost all the kits are pretty similar, even those coming from Major vendors like Nivel are made overseas so shop around and save yourself some money
Old 12-10-2016, 11:27 AM   #7
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
http://products.jacobsen.com/img/manuals/27615-g01.pdf

Ask and Ye shall receive, LOL ... We send most of our 295's/350's to CT because they do a COMPLETE rebuild, valves and guides, bearings, boring, etc but again, it's about double the cost of just doing a fast rod and piston job (although they send You a nice squeaky-clean motor, so there's another step averted, LOL)

Not to sound like a salesman, but they also offer a pretty serious upgraded motor, they call it their "375" which is actually a bored 350 with reworked 295 head, if your starter brushes are worn You'll have to replace them as the engineis higher compression and a bit harder to turn over, but they claim almost 14hp and I have installed enough of them to believe that's not an unrealistic estimate, they pull noticeably better than a stock 350 and night and day over a 295. You won't gain any top end really as the engine redlines similarly to the stock config, but the torque is substantial. Last I checked the 375 was running about $125 more than a stock rebuild, just a little more food for thought.

If You're still going to tackle it yourself, almost all the kits are pretty similar, even those coming from Major vendors like Nivel are made overseas so shop around and save yourself some money
Thanks again!

The 375 may be worth it, I am a little worried about the stock 9 Hp. With the hills here in GA. and the 22'' tires!

Oh, I misspoke, The kits I was looking at are $340-350. complete rebuild just no crank!
Old 12-10-2016, 01:25 PM   #8
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

My property is actually an old Ski Area from the 60's, so when You say "Hills" You're speaking my language, LOL ... My Workhorse (on 23's) has one of CT's 375's in it and it hauls firewood, tools, rocks, You name it up and down some pretty darn serious terrain. I also have a really built 350 in a TXT that has custom Valve Springs, reworked 295 head, bored jetted and polished carb with a tuned header - That cart has a ton of "get up and go" but the 375 will definitely outpull it although it can't rev nearly as high so the TXT buries it speed-wise (then again, the 6:1 gearing in that rear end helps speed things up too, LOL).

If You're going to do the 375, look into swapping the stock driven clutch for a 28 degree - it's another hundred and a half or so but that also adds about 20% to the ground for hills, takeoff, etc.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO