lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-18-2017, 10:46 AM   #1
faststang2000
Not Yet Wild

Default Ezgo st350 running rich

Have a 2004 EZGO ST350. Came in with an intermittent run problem. Replaced ignitor and seemed to run ok. Cart came back in a week with similar problem. I have replaced the carb, fuel pump, plugs, air filter, fuel filter, air filter, and even tried another muffler on it. I have 175 compression in both cyls.
Cart will sputter and act like it is flooding out and will not pick up rpms and than it will clear itself and run right, shut cart off and same thing happens. I'm wondering if I could have a bad valve causing it to run like this. Any ideas.
faststang2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-01-2017, 02:21 PM   #2
faststang2000
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Ezgo st350 running rich

Had a lot of views but no suggestions any help or ideas?
Old 06-01-2017, 02:57 PM   #3
big mule
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Just a shot in the dark but have you tried slightly loosening the gas tank cap;also have you inspected the gas tank pick up tube (be sure all gas line clamps are tight & not sucking air as well)?
big mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:58 AM   #4
kyerik
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Sounds more like it is running lean rather than running rich. Loosening the fuel cap is a good idea. Also look in the fuel tank to be sure there isn't any crud floating around in there and blocking the fuel pickup. A little bit of water in the gas can also cause intermittent rough running- adding some heet to the gas tank would help with that.
kyerik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:30 AM   #5
faststang2000
Not Yet Wild

The fuel tank was syphoned dry and vacuumed out. Non ethanol fuel added. All fuel lines replaced
along with carb and fuel pump. After a minute or two of running new plugs are fouled and black and wet with fuel when I pull them.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:33 AM   #6
faststang2000
Not Yet Wild

If I take the air intake hose off carb seems to fun much better but when I replace it starts running bad again. I agree acts like running lean but plugs say different like I'm not getting enough air or strong enough spark to ignite the fuel that's there.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:39 AM   #7
big mule
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Have you checked to be sure some rodent hasn't packed something in the air intake hose?
big mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:13 AM   #8
faststang2000
Not Yet Wild

Yes all clear new air filter to.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:40 PM   #9
kyerik
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

If it is running too rich it will be blowing black smoke while sputtering. Do you see any black smoke?

How about the coil? Any chance you could put an inductive timing light on each of the plug wires and verify that spark is regular even when sputtering?
kyerik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:44 AM   #10
faststang2000
Not Yet Wild

Found the problem. I replaced the head. Couldn't see any obvious problem with the old one but think I may have had a bent or sticking valve. Put the rebuilt head on with new valves and runs like new. Thanks for the imput.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO