lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-22-2017, 10:45 AM   #21
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: How to install a "kill switch" to avoid cart theft

Yes, your keyswitch has 2 hot in and 2 switched out, basically it's 2 seperate circuits (key position 1 = circuit 1 on, key position 2 = both circuits on) - You just wired into the wrong one, that's all.

When we rewire carts we do 15A to the Ignition, 20-40A to the headlight circuit, depending on light setup and draw
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-22-2017, 02:02 PM   #22
michaelmc29
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes it is 7A. I looked before, but the writing is too small for me! Found it this time.
michaelmc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 03:00 PM   #23
dcannow
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmc29 View Post
I'm sure someone out there has installed a "kill switch" in their gas cart as somewhat of a security measure. We have a firemen's convention every fall and there are thousands of golf carts at the place. I know all EZ-Go keys are the same, so I'm wanting to add a little bit of security to prevent the drunk idiots from getting any ideas with my cart...

Can anyone lend some insight?
You might consider replacing your key switch with one that has individual special keys. Check ebay/amazon not too pricey. They are available for "with lights" or without lights.
dcannow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:42 AM   #24
michaelmc29
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Well I got the suckered wired up yesterday finally... I put the switch in-line with the hot coming off the solenoid going to the ignition as cartaround suggested. I don't like having it under the seat as it's pretty easy for someone to flip the seat and find the wires if they really wanted to. Something hidden within the dash or under the cart (I was worried about wear and tear on the switch with water, mud, brush, etc.) would provide thieves with more of a challenge, but anyone that REALLY wants the cart is going to figure out how to get it. Thanks for all the help fellas!
Old 07-24-2017, 06:43 AM   #25
michaelmc29
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Sorry I didn't take any pics... I figured this was an easy enough project that it could be explained pretty easily with no pictures needed
Old 07-24-2017, 06:54 AM   #26
Cruise Master
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
... but anyone that REALLY wants the cart is going to figure out how to get it.
Very true. Back in my snowmobile days they would just throw it in the back of a truck or a trailer and take off. Having four rolling tires would make that job a lot easier.
Cruise Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:17 AM   #27
michaelmc29
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise Master View Post
Very true. Back in my snowmobile days they would just throw it in the back of a truck or a trailer and take off. Having four rolling tires would make that job a lot easier.
Yep I'm with you! But the hassle of using a mechanical lock through the tires or some other way doesn't interest me much.... It's quite a bit of on and off the carts at this place, so having to mess with that every time sounded like a pain!

In reality, my switch is meant to protect me in the situation of a boozed up partier hopping on to take a quick ride, realizing there's no key, and even IF he has a key, that it won't start, and saying to heck with it and going for another beer... I doubt many people would take the time to trace wires, hot wire it, etc.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:08 AM   #28
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Yep I'm with you! But the hassle of using a mechanical lock through the tires or some other way doesn't interest me much.... It's quite a bit of on and off the carts at this place, so having to mess with that every time sounded like a pain!

In reality, my switch is meant to protect me in the situation of a boozed up partier hopping on to take a quick ride, realizing there's no key, and even IF he has a key, that it won't start, and saying to heck with it and going for another beer... I doubt many people would take the time to trace wires, hot wire it, etc.
LOL, that should work for that, till people see you flipping your see every time before you start it!
Then it may become an invitation for them to show you they got you!
You know how drunk Buddies are! LOL

Now you have me thinking.
How about a switch in the bottom of cup holder with a permanently mounted cup that you have to twist to start!
A old stereo head unit you gutted with a switch under the faceplate.
a turn signal switch wired to start.
How about a pressure switch under seat, you activate when you get off. someone sets in the seat and alarm go's off! be great in your case if you used a fire alarm!
Let me have one more beer and I will come up with something! LOL
Gearhead1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:53 AM   #29
michaelmc29
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead1956 View Post
How about a pressure switch under seat, you activate when you get off. someone sets in the seat and alarm go's off! be great in your case if you used a fire alarm!
Let me have one more beer and I will come up with something! LOL
Now that's an idea!!! I may have to look into that one...
Old 07-28-2017, 08:54 AM   #30
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Here's how I did mine, Easy Peasy and lockable. But Shhhhh, don't tell anyone
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 74.jpg (210.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 72.jpg (255.4 KB, 0 views)
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO