lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-07-2017, 09:32 AM   #1
BigDfromTN
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Shuttle 4 Kawasaki Rear End ??

I have a 2009 or 2010 Shuttle 4 with the Kawasaki engine and rear end. S/N is either 2680684 or 605783G01-TXT (First is what I wrote on purchase papers and second is what prior owner showed as sn)

Issue I have it when I take off in forward it clunks and jumps like a gear is missing a tooth or two. It is much smoother in reverse.

Does any one know if this is a common issue or have experience with it?

I have put it in "Neutral" and watched the clutches, they seem to operate properly.

Cart has been lifted with larger tires, but NO governor adjustments have been made. I did remove and replace the left side axle seal last spring.

TIA,
Don
BigDfromTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-07-2017, 10:27 AM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: Shuttle 4 Kawasaki Rear End ??

Drop the pan and check out the gears to see if any thing is wrong. Sounds like the rear clutch to me
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:29 AM   #3
BigDfromTN
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
Drop the pan and check out the gears to see if any thing is wrong. Sounds like the clutch to me

Thanks for the quick reply.

This rear end does not have a pan or inspection cover. You have to split the halves to check the gears.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:06 PM   #4
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Jack it up and turn the rear end by hand, any noise or sounds?

Shift it back and forth, not running and turn by hand.
Gearhead1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:22 PM   #5
BigDfromTN
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead1956 View Post
Jack it up and turn the rear end by hand, any noise or sounds?

Shift it back and forth, not running and turn by hand.
It will be a little while before I get back to it to do this, but will do it. This cart stays at our "River House" and is used to shuttle coolers and people back and forth to the boat dock. We are not going this coming weekend.

So you are suggesting to jack it up and turn the driven clutch and see if it is the rear end vs the clutch as a process of elimination?
Old 08-07-2017, 12:28 PM   #6
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

So you are suggesting to jack it up and turn the driven clutch and see if it is the rear end vs the clutch as a process of elimination?

NO!
Looking for any unusual sounds and the feel of the gears in the rear end as they rotate and shift.
Gearhead1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:56 PM   #7
BigDfromTN
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead1956 View Post

NO!
Looking for any unusual sounds and the feel of the gears in the rear end as they rotate and shift.
OK, just wanting to be clear. I will do that when we go back down.

THANKS!
Old 08-07-2017, 02:52 PM   #8
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Ezgo lists it as a 2010 and what you are describing sounds like a stripped brake hub. When the cart is in reverse I believe the ratio changes so there is less stress on the hub and hence may not slip. Pull the rear wheels off and make sure the castle nuts are tight to like 140 ft-lbs. After that see if it is better. If yes one or both hubs are bad.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:19 PM   #9
BigDfromTN
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Ezgo lists it as a 2010 and what you are describing sounds like a stripped brake hub. When the cart is in reverse I believe the ratio changes so there is less stress on the hub and hence may not slip. Pull the rear wheels off and make sure the castle nuts are tight to like 140 ft-lbs. After that see if it is better. If yes one or both hubs are bad.
Thank you! I will check this as well. Sounds plausible as it seems to smooth out once up to speed.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:12 PM   #10
BigDfromTN
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Finally got back to cabin and checked out cart. As you soggested, left hub nut was loose. Tightened it up and its all better now. Thank you for the advise! Do I need to be looking for a hub or will this likely fix it?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO