lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-05-2017, 09:20 PM   #1
Dan33Klein
Getting Wild

Default 2 terminal battery charge meter connection

Hello all,

I bought a battery charge meter for my Yamaha drive 48v.

The charge meter only has 2 terminals. + and -
It looks like some other meters have 3 terminals 1 being switched.

I really don't want this meter being on 24/7.
I know I can get 48 volts (switched) at 1 of the terminals on the key switch.

Do I need to run the negative all the way to the negative terminal where the charger lead connects? Or is the a way to grab the negative up near the front?

Thank you in Advance.
Dan33Klein is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-06-2017, 10:35 AM   #2
bird6246
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2 terminal battery charge meter connection

you can run from the "switchable" side of the key switch, since all it is doing is getting pack voltage from the constant side. And YES ground the wire at the "MAIN" negative.
bird6246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:36 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Most all Drives have wiring built in for a meter, look under the cupholders for a unused plug wrapped in some electrical tape and red heatshrink. It will have switched and unswitched 48v and a negative. Be sure to flip tow/run switch to tow before cutting wires.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:44 PM   #4
Tha_B_Man
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Anyway you could post a pic CG?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tha_B_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:57 PM   #5
cgtech

Yamaha

I don't have any that I haven't already installed a meter on.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:30 AM   #6
Tha_B_Man
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Fwiw, I have the battery meter connected straight to the batteries(on 24/7). That kinda bothered me at first but I think I like it now. I can see what state my batteries are in at a passing glance, opposed to having to get the key and switching it on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tha_B_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:14 AM   #7
Dan33Klein
Getting Wild

Thanks for the info, I will look for the plug. If I can't find it I will just tap into the key switch and take the negative back to the main negative terminal on the battery. This one is combination battery meter and digital voltage readout. I wouldn't think it would draw much power being on all the time. But I would rather have it switched. Thank you guys
Old 09-09-2017, 08:05 AM   #8
Dan33Klein
Getting Wild

I connected the negative wire to the main negative connection on the battery pack. I then connected the positive to the red/white stripe wire on the key switch. The meter doesn't light up. I tested the meter directly to the charge port and it works fine. Not sure what I did wrong. I'll look at it some more tonight.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:34 PM   #9
RowdyCart
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Can someone post a picture of the meter that belongs in the dash under the cup holder? I have those wires and ect but the mount location is confusing.
RowdyCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:49 AM   #10
cgtech

Yamaha

It's not like the hole is already there, you will have to cut it. I think there are lines inside the dash where to cut. You will have to build your own adventure here, with your box knives. I used a legit Yamaha (curtis) meter part number (Jr1-h351c). The box it came in had a cardboard support to hold the meter that made a easy template. Doesn't get much easier than using the package it came in. Sometimes getting the factory stuff doesn't hurt so bad (that meter isn't expensive, but some can't resist a eBay $5 special, how much are your batteries worth). Make a cardboard template, draw it on your dash where you want it, use box knife to cut hole...... Me no responsible for lost fingers, use your common sense while playing with box knife. If you don't want to pay a shop to do it, you will have to "get your hands dirty", it's no big deal. DIY, or pay me (or someone like me). Sounds like you got the 10-led eBay special. Want a good meter? Get a actual volt meter here www.cartsunlimited.net . We'll help you install that thing, and also steer you to what you ought to have.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha