lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-01-2017, 07:48 PM   #1
jetboatjosh
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default G1 clutch ID and is it toast

Can anyone help me ID this clutch? Also one of the weights fell out, is it toast?
2017-12-01 16.41.09.jpg
jetboatjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-01-2017, 09:38 PM   #2
jetboatjosh
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: G1 clutch ID and is it toast

Just so everyone is clear it's on a 84 yamaha G1. This is what the weights look like.
20171201_162140.jpg
Old 12-01-2017, 11:38 PM   #3
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

That's not stock is all I can say
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 05:55 AM   #4
yamarancher
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Looks like a comet clutch. Did you start the engine with the belt off ?
yamarancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:20 AM   #5
jetboatjosh
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I have not started it with the belt off. i was trying to get the clutch off to change the crank seal when a weight fell out. I may have had a little to do with it falling out ( hammer and pry bars )
Old 12-02-2017, 01:26 PM   #6
Lochlin
Gone Wild

That looks like a Comet clutch with "Comet" being a brand. Those were used on 80s era Columbia carts and a lot of other machines as well to include EZ Go carts and a ton of snowmobiles from that time period. Yours probably came off a Yamaha snowmobile but it will be impossible to know exactly what model of Comet that is.

All the same it's not toast. You'll have to take the primary flange off that clutch to the get the weight back into the ride channel. It's a pretty straight forward job.

This is a link to a typical Comet set-up. It should be pretty similar to what you have there:

http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/en...tCategoryCode=

You should be ok running that particular clutch with the belt off. You just pried on it wrong and opened the clutch up thus causing the weight to fall out. It'll go back in. Go get a wheel puller somewhere to pull that sucker off.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:25 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Looks like my comet 94c, they made replacement clutches for carts they all had the gen pulley on the back. A regular comet does not but they did make normal ones with the right taper. Anyway measure the diameter of the sheave and look up the 94 it is 7.5" or something. They have a smaller clutch that looks similar but I'd guess its the 94 especially if it has a gen pulley. You can buy those pucks and they do wear out eventually. That is called the ribbed cover model 94c and take different pucks than the smooth cover model. The puller is just a bolt that threads in, its a fine thread, I forget think a 5/8 or 9/16 fine thread. It will thread in the center there in the photo after you take out the bolt that holds it on. Once you get the clutch off you hold it in your hand in the belt area, back the puller bolt out part way and hit the puller bolt with a hammer to pop the cover off. The cover sits on there but is a tight fit. Using a puller on the outside of any clutch sheave or cover is typically never recommended, any bend or damage trashes it. Make sure you get the pucks all in the right way and in the right pattern if you don't use all slots, you have to use 9 or 6 I think in groups of 3 so they are balanced. There are a few different weight pucks you can tell by the size of the metal in center or no metal. To replace keep it flat and put the cover on and press on by hand to start. Use the puller bolt with a spacer to pull the cover back on, I use a couple huge nuts that fit the puller bolt loosely or use a short piece of pipe or stack of washers/etc. Tighten it down so the cover is all the way on, put the clutch back on your engine. Don't hit it with a hammer it will peen the hole and not fit on all the way.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha