lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-28-2018, 07:19 PM   #1
Fundmark19
Not Yet Wild

Default Gas pooling in air intake hose

Hey everyone I just picked up an 89 (I believe no tags) marathon that had been running rough. I noticed all the fuel lines weren’t clamped down so I clamped them. Fixed all issues with motor running. Came back today to check on cart and gas was leaking on my floor with a significant amount pooled in the air intake hose.

I am assuming it has something to with relationship between fuel pump and carb but I am not familiar with what would cause that much fuel to be pulled and pooling. Any help on what the cause could be would be appreciated
Fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-29-2018, 10:24 AM   #2
redm18
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Gas pooling in air intake hose

I would check needle on the carb. Take the carb off and make sure the needle is seating correctly you should be able to turn the carb upside down and blow through the gas passage and then when you turn the carb right side up you should not be able to blow through it.
redm18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:09 PM   #3
Fundmark19
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for the help! When I snuggled up the hose lines it must have pulled it out of alignment. Then after the 5 times I tore the carb apart I was a knuckle head and forgot to put the needle back in causing a day of frustration. Luckily I didn’t throw the rag out that it was sitting on.

Cart is running like a dream unfortunately right after I finished up the carb noticed the frame is cracked on the the engine mount beside the strut. On to the next project!
Old 06-30-2018, 03:24 PM   #4
redm18
Not Yet Wild

Glad to help that sounds like something I would do.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:50 AM   #5
Fundmark19
Not Yet Wild

So it happened again. I am going to assume the needle valve is unseated again. Is there a trick to making sure it seats correctly for a long period of time? It has only had 2 days of full use before it unseated.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:20 PM   #6
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

As the engine sits in the machine along side the fuel tank --- is the gas level in the tank higher then the carburetor when the tank is full? Check your float and make sure it really floats -- it could have a leak and not shut the gas off. Also if the gas is running out -- it may be running into the cylinder. Check your oil for gas contamination cause it will destroy the engine.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:22 PM   #7
Fundmark19
Not Yet Wild

Thanks I will take a look to see if it floats still. Does anyone know if floats can bet switched from a different age of carb? My shop doesn't have the one I need but does have next generation. He is pretty confident that the float would be the same.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:50 PM   #8
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

89 was the first year of the 3-pg 2 stroke. To verify that, your drive belt should run front to back, not side to side. It will also be a single cylinder with the spark plug on top.

Verify that first, then throw a $20 carburetor on it.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:51 PM   #9
Fundmark19
Not Yet Wild

I have confirmed it’s not 88 or 89. Must be pre 87. Has separated seats not bench so guessed 89.

So the float still floats so that doesn’t seem to be the issue. Do needle valves just bounce out of place with gravity? My local shop didn’t have right carb in so I wasn’t able to buy a new one. I had an 89 carb for parts if float was cracked but it’s in fine floating form.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:18 AM   #10
redm18
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundmark19 View Post
I have confirmed it’s not 88 or 89. Must be pre 87. Has separated seats not bench so guessed 89.

So the float still floats so that doesn’t seem to be the issue. Do needle valves just bounce out of place with gravity? My local shop didn’t have right carb in so I wasn’t able to buy a new one. I had an 89 carb for parts if float was cracked but it’s in fine floating form.
Could be a problem with the needle or the seat I would buy a new carb from a site sponsor or Amazon or
Ebay. You should be able to get one for under 40 bucks and it will probably fix your problems.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO