lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-05-2018, 12:00 PM   #1
SnoSheriff
Not Yet Wild

Default G9: steering noise

Hi. I have a lifted G9 with steering noise/clicking. The noise is right on the steering rack where the bolt has some play in/out. I believe the idler arm connects to it. It makes noise when driving. How can I fix this? Thank you
SnoSheriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-06-2018, 10:26 AM   #2
SnoSheriff
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: G9: steering noise

No ideas?
Old 08-06-2018, 11:20 AM   #3
SnoSheriff
Not Yet Wild

Here is a short clip of my issue
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQDzRuN9VPE
Old 08-06-2018, 10:34 PM   #4
G1-G9
LIFE IS TAKING FOREVER

Yamaha

I could not tell you why it's making that noise. Have you taken the cove off to look at the inside of the steering box? Make sure that it has grease inside it?
G1-G9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:22 AM   #5
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

There are bearings above and below the worm gear that is built onto the steering shaft. You wouldn't think they get much of a work out compared to bearings in other applications, but I've seen a few that came out in chunks and pieces.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:52 PM   #6
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Take the 4 10mm head bolts out and remove the cover pate. Pack the box with grease. Reinstall the plate. His the front end jacked up, loosen the 10mm jam nut on the pitman adjuster screw. turn the screw in 1/4 turn. Use your finger to turn the steering wheel from "lock to lock". Keep turning in the screw 1/4 turn till you feel a "bind/catch" while turning the steering wheel. When binding is felt, back off the screw a 1/4 turn and tighten the jam nut. Without taking the box apart to check bearings/ worm shaft/pitman arm pins, that is the best way to get the clunk and wheel play out. Good luck
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:03 PM   #7
SnoSheriff
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
Take the 4 10mm head bolts out and remove the cover pate. Pack the box with grease. Reinstall the plate. His the front end jacked up, loosen the 10mm jam nut on the pitman adjuster screw. turn the screw in 1/4 turn. Use your finger to turn the steering wheel from "lock to lock". Keep turning in the screw 1/4 turn till you feel a "bind/catch" while turning the steering wheel. When binding is felt, back off the screw a 1/4 turn and tighten the jam nut. Without taking the box apart to check bearings/ worm shaft/pitman arm pins, that is the best way to get the clunk and wheel play out. Good luck
@smallblock450sl, that is exactly what needed to be done . Now I can ride the cart without that freaking noise. Thank you very much everyone!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha