lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-16-2018, 05:38 PM   #21
jashworth
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO TXT low compression

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
I agree on those Harbor Freight testers. Junk.
Remember my 1st post was telling you to make sure your gauge is working correct.

You need to do the same with the one you just bought because 180 pounds is high for this engine.

I just commented on another post about high compression on these engines.

Anyway you can verify the new compression gauge is accurate ? You got any friends who might have one you can test it against ?

Let's make sure on this before we go more. High compression is normally caused by plugged up exhaust somewhere . I seen it one time in 16 years of working at a golf course. The hole in exhaust port where manifold bolted cylinder head was the size of a small pencil on the one I had come in. No power and high compression. I worked on many over the 16 years and this only happened that one time.

The rule is usually this > unless you have put oil in the cylinders on purpose :)

High compression in a cylinder usually means there is liquid oil and/or high carbon deposit in the combustion chamber displacing room for air. The air gets more compressed (because the combustion chamber is essentially smaller) and the pressure reads high.
I’ll try and check compression with another tester.

What is the best way to check the muffler and or oil/carbon deposit?
jashworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-16-2018, 06:28 PM   #22
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

I hate to see you go to a lot of trouble just to check if there is carbon build up.

I removed the exhaust manifold and looked in the port the best I remember.

That was years ago and I only had one Ezgo do this. Don't break the two bolts that hold the muffler on if you do try this when you confirm the compression is indeed high.

First see if they are easy to remove.

May have to use a torch and heat the exhaust manifold where they go in. Do not heat the bolts which you probably already know. Heat the manifold if they do not come out easy and be careful.

Check to make sure the compression is 180 before you do anything. I am thinking you gauge is showing high. I know you harbor freight one was not working.
Like you I also once had a harbor freight tester. Never worked for me so I took it back. I still use the automotive one I have owned for 40 years. It works but I do need a better one myself.

Problems like yours will jump out and get you. I have been there. Take your time and don't go tearing this engine down just yet. Let's see if we can figure out your problem.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:03 PM   #23
jashworth
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
I hate to see you go to a lot of trouble just to check if there is carbon build up.

I removed the exhaust manifold and looked in the port the best I remember.

That was years ago and I only had one Ezgo do this. Don't break the two bolts that hold the muffler on if you do try this when you confirm the compression is indeed high.

First see if they are easy to remove.

May have to use a torch and heat the exhaust manifold where they go in. Do not heat the bolts which you probably already know. Heat the manifold if they do not come out easy and be careful.

Check to make sure the compression is 180 before you do anything. I am thinking you gauge is showing high. I know you harbor freight one was not working.
Like you I also once had a harbor freight tester. Never worked for me so I took it back. I still use the automotive one I have owned for 40 years. It works but I do need a better one myself.

Problems like yours will jump out and get you. I have been there. Take your time and don't go tearing this engine down just yet. Let's see if we can figure out your problem.
Is there anything that can be used to clean carbon from the cylinder?
jashworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:35 PM   #24
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

First let's see if that might be your problem. Let me know what a known good gauge shows when you test compression again.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO